cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rog 5s, 3G shutdown VoLTE

EFT_EOD
Star I

Hi, I have a Rog 5s

I have the latest version and have enable VoLTE and done everything that has been asked of by my provider. "Telstra"

I have gone into phone settings and tried changing stuff but it is clear that Rog 5s makes only calls on 3G.

It still doesn't work, so I'm guessing this is an Asus problem that they hope they can ignore and it will just go away?

14 REPLIES 14

I have a ROG 5s and was  told by a techie that it did not support VoLTE on 4G Vodaphone based on erroneous musings on the internet.  A little bit of poking around the internet I finally found the Network Settings to turn VoLTE functionality on.  Phone now working.  What joy as I have just spent $300 to replace the broken components responsible for SIM card connections and fingerprint detection.  These had failed because of repeatedly dropping the phone.  Moral of the story is dont drop your phone.

romulex
Star II

Small update and maybe some good news. I picked up a $12 stater Yes Optus sim card. VoLTE kicked in on the sim card and I had no 3G warning. Might be an option if your looking for it. It did not give me an option for 5G however but I might give Vodafone a go as well. I just can't find any details online how well 4G and 5G is supported on the 5s for Optus and Vodafone. While I prefer Telstra as I travel to the country frequently and I know areas that only support Telstra, I might just have to bite the bullet and move away from Telstra until the phone eventually bricks itself.

joel0
Star I

Same issue here. I'm with woolworths mobile (which is on the telstra network) and I don't want to get a new phone or switch carrier. Is it true that vodaphone will work? what about optus or any of the budget carriers that run on vodaphone or optus? Going to see if i can return the phone at jbhifi too.

I ended up switching to Optus on my end. I transferred my number about 3 weeks ago with no issues so far. I also went out rural last week and was pleasantly surprised to find Optus now reaches areas it use to not reach when i tested it about 5 years ago. While I am only a few weeks in, I haven't had any overall issues yet. For the sake of testing, I am dual-sim'ing a Vodafone "pay-as-you-go" sim and while I have only made a handful of calls on it, seems to be fine too. If for some reason Telstra steps back up and adds support (and hopefully by them delaying 3G closure they realize support needs to be stepped up and they add Asus support) I might jump back just for the wider coverage.

In terms of budget providers, I don't know how Optus and Vodafone treat their network leaching phone providers so I can't say for certain. The blank sim I ordered is just with Optus and not some smaller brand using Optus towers. I'd say try some blank sims or borrow a sim card from a friend or family that uses the network. All I can really recommend is If you are in the city and don't leave very often, Vodafone is probably the cheapest then Optus but Optus does have better range than Vodafone. In my own research, its hard to actually determine what reach each provider has because some sites that compare coverage have older data. For example, I found alot of sites mention little to no support for Vodafone 5G (some saying it doesn't exist yet) only to find in Sydney there is plenty of 5G support.

I recommend just doing some testing of your own because you still have a month before the closure of 3G telstra support. If borrowing a sim seems fine, order a blank or cheap sim (usually $2 -$12 depending on the provider) and test run it for a bit.

Do you have the ROG phone 5S or 5? I have the ROG phone 5S and can confirm it does not work with woolworths mobile. I'll try my partner's optus sim now and report back.