This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG phone 3 display is capped to 60hz ,when hdmi cable/capture card is connected.

akshaycygnus
Star II
36414e94-235b-4d3a-a486-4ea5519655db.jpg
b06c54bc-6f8f-4dc5-87fa-6fbfb85d9729.jpg
45ed9581-04cd-4f9e-b630-00869f481b9d.jpg

MODEL NAME : ROG PHONE 3 (12GB)
FIRMWARE VERSION: QKQ1.200419.002.WW_Phone-17.0823.2012.131
Not rooted
Frequency of Occurrence: EVERYTIME
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): All apps and UI
Every time when i connect the phone to a ELGATO capture card ( Not only with elgato but other users with high end capture cards too) , the screen refresh rate is being capped to 60hz by itself. (DO NOTE THAT YOU GUYS DON'T NEED TO EXPLAIN ME THE LIMITATION OF CAPTURE CARD ITSELF, BECAUSE HERE THE SCREEN REFRESH RATE IS BEING SET TO 60HZ). The phone display and the output through type-c is different, what is limiting the screen of the phone itself to 60hz? I can understand the fact that a capture card supporting 60hz capture can only capture at 60hz. Once again i am repeating that i am not asking about the capture card output, I AM ASKING ABOUT THE DISPLAY REFRESH RATE. Every other phone such as samsung, oneplus, ipad pro does not have this weird limitation. I can clearly say that this has nothing to do with hardware limitation but a software one. When you market a product saying it has MHL support and USB type c 3.1 output and doesn't deliver what you say ,at least acknowledge the issue and provide customers The response or fixes. THIS IS ONLY HAPPENING IN ASUS ROG PHONES , who ever got this phone thinking they can start a youtube streaming career is helpless now. YOU guys are making a joke out of your self calling this a premium beast phone , when you can't even fix the problem.
SIMILAR POSTS WERE ALREADY MADE BY OTHERS and you guys closed those thread shamelessly without proper response.
Swadesh

Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:

1. Model Name: ROG Phone 3 (8GB)
  2. Firmware Version: QKQ1.200419.002.WW_Phone-17.0823.2008.70
  3. Rooted or not: Not rooted
  4. Frequency of Occurrence: Always
  5. APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): NA

In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.

========================================

As soon as you connect a capture card to the device through either of the type c port, the refresh rate of the device is capped to 60hz. Which is ridiculous if you want to play and capture your gameplay at the same time.

I want to play the game at 90hz, but capture it as 60fps as my capture card can record upto 1080p60. I have set the screen refresh rate to 90hz on game Armory. And 90fps is selected in game as well.

But when I connect the hdmi cable, the phone refresh rate is automatically locked at 60hz. No other device does that. The external output should not affect the phone's capability to refresh it's own display. Why is it happening?

I have iPad Pro and oneplus 7 pro. None of these devices cap the refresh rate of phone's display when external output is connected.

I bought this phone to capture my games while enjoying them at high refresh rate display. I didn't expect a mediocre limited hardware on this device.

ROG phone 3 is capped to 60hz refresh rate when hdmi cable/capture card is connected
im.joybarai

When I connect my Rog 3 with Elgato Capture through USB C to HDMI my rog 3 display automatically becomes 60hz and it's unchangeable. The display becomes 60hz and it looks blurry, bad quality graphics. I want to capture my pubg mobile gameplay but I want to play the pubg mobile on 90fps... Asus says that rog 3 is a dedicated gaming phone but why doesn't it behave like low end devices? 1080p High quality screen recorder records upto 14mins pubg mobile gameplay. Display becomes 60hz when I connect with capture card... Oneplus devices aren't dedicated gaming phone. But they don't do low end works... Then why a dedicated gaming phone do this? What's the solution of these stuffs?

ROG 3 60Hz display with Capture card

technicalsharad

I'm a streamer and i use elgato to capture my gameplay but my phone screen always get stuck on 60hz when i connect my phone through a type c to hdmi connecter to elgato

It says (refresh rate set to 60hz)

But why i want to play games on high refresh rate like 90hz or 120hz

Any solution ??

Rog 2 with hdmi out cabbed on 60hz (elgato)
these are some of the threads which were already posted. and yet you guys weren't able to give a solution nor a proper reasonable response.
Give us answer or fixes , we aren't fools to spend this much money on a phone. This would be my last phone from asus itself , I am not gonna buy nor recommend anyone who plans to buy this for streaming.
I will wait for an answer , after that i will make sure I make a video specifically explaining why no one should buy a ROG phone for streaming or youtube purposes AND POST IT IN YOUTUBE. So that no one else wastes money on this useless hardware.

9 REPLIES 9

Gustav_ASUS
Community Legend III
When you connect your phone to an external capture card like the Elgato HD60 S, the refresh rate of your phone will match the throughput of your capture card, which for the HD60 S means 60 Hz. You can't set the display rate of your phone individually while connected to your capture card.

Edit: To clear up any confusion, the threads you linked to were closed automatically due to inactivity.

akshaycygnus
Star II
@Gustav_ASUS first of all this does not happen in other phones, Even if i am ready to use in 60hz, but the biggest issue is the whole phone starts to stutter and lag , the touch latency goes crazy low. If it was only limiting the refresh rate , i wouldn't be so furious over this. The touch latency drops crazily. Why only on Rog phone??. Lets consider i buy a high end capture card like Avermedia GC553 which can capture at 1080p 120hz.
Similarly another person with all maxed out capture card like this did a post in this forum too. But that didn't solve the problem either.
sonwid23

My all devices

Capture Card : Avermedia GC553 (Supporting 4K60Hz, 1080P120Hz)

Converter : Club 3D USB-C to HDMI (Supporting 4K60Hz, 1080P120Hz)

HDMI Cable : E.net Ultra High Speed HDMI Ver.2.1 (Supporting 4K30Hz, 1080P240Hz)

Phone : Rog Phone 3 (Display - 144Hz)

I bought these all devices for Rog Phone 3

When Rog Phone is connected to Capture card through Converter,

Rog Phone is capped to 60 Hz with this announcement "Refresh rate is set to 60Hz"

But Oneplus doesn't have this glitch and doesn't even need good devices which support 1080p120Hz

Cuz even If capture card only supports 60fps, Oneplus is not capped to 60Hz, Oneplus has own display

Please change system of Rog phone like Oneplus

Don't say "buy Oneplus", I already ordered😡

But I still like Rog Phone, I wish using Rog Phone again (with capture card)

ASUS Mods @Anders_ASUS@Gustav_ASUS @ARP@ARP_ASUS answer me please

Please fix this refresh rate glitch
So please don't say that its because of the capture card. Even if it is for any reason, what about the lag and touch latency drops???
No other phone with "display out" has this kind of weird limitation, in oneplus you can play at 90fps and record in 60.
If the Rog phone is limited by the likes of any of such weird issues . Just give us a clear cut statement , so that i don't waste my time hoping that whether ASUS will fix this or not. So that i can then make sure that no one else buys this for streaming purpose and waste their hard earned money.

Craven
Rising Star II
The same also happens when one uses the screen recorder. The screen refresh rate also gets capped, but only to 120hz so it's not as grave as when using the capture card. Therefore, I can't enjoy the screen fluidity in all its 144hz glory. I tried to bring this up twice in the span of 4 months but some idiots kept mistaking the "hz" for "FPS" and no dev wants to take part in this. It's safe to say no one cares about this problem, other than the ones who are experiencing it.

akshaycygnus
Star II
Craven

The same also happens when one uses the screen recorder. The screen refresh rate also gets capped, but only to 120hz so it's not as grave as when using the capture card. Therefore, I can't enjoy the screen fluidity in all its 144hz glory. I tried to bring this up twice in the span of 4 months but some idiots kept mistaking the "hz" for "FPS" and no dev wants to take part in this. It's safe to say no one cares about this problem, other than the ones who are experiencing it.

View post
Yes, they have put in great hardware, kudos to engineering team , but the whole product experience is only ruined by software, and they are simply lazy enough to not address the customer pain points. They are getting away with these due to the hype created by the device. At the end of the day , money wasted is wasted , sure as hell never gonna buy any Asus mobile products. Yes we understand these problems might be faced by very few customers using these , but you market and provide specs as features, we are entitled to ask for a fix. As a Asus fan and tech enthusiast I'll only say that your reputation is being damaged AMONG TRUE FANS.