asus tuf fa506qm bios 311 can't use second ssd drive

albertoha_bu
Star I
System: Windows 11
Battery or AC: both
Model: fa506qm
Frequency of occurrence: Always
Reset OS: No
Screenshot or video: Apart from being a different model of laptop, it is the same issue (and drive) that happens in this thread https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/62335/ssd-visible-in-bios-but-not-on-windows
========================
Detailed description:I have been using the 2 drives in this laptop without issue, until the other day that windows update updated the bios to version 311. Right after that, the second drive stopped showing in windows and bios.
Reseating the drive made it appear on bios on the first reboot, but once logged into windows it didn't show anywhere anymore, not on windows or bios. I did notice that the windows' provided driver for nvme drives in the missing drive was showing an initializacion error that disappear after instaling the micron driver
I tried to reinstall the bios update but with the same results. I had to reinstall version 310 to fix it.
12 REPLIES 12

tomville37
Star I
Same issue, Windows Update updated BIOS to 311 and SSD disapeared. 2021 ASUS TUF Gaming A15 FA506QM (me too)

Falcon_ASUS
Hi all
I have forwarded the information to the relevant department. We will keep you updated and your consideration will be very much appreciated.

sebirojo_
Star I
Hi guys, i have exactly the same problem!! I was losing my mind xD. I have opened my PC like an ultimate option thinking that the SSD drive was wrong located 😞 but doesnt fix the problem.
I have read that you fix it reverting 310 version but I DON'T KNOW how to do that 😞
Please could you help me? Thank you!!
Model: fa506qm

albertoha_bu
Star I
Falcon_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/62908/asus-tuf-fa506qm-bios-311-cant-use-second-ssd-drive

@albertoha_bu

Could you please provide me the pictures of the SSD in the system and BIOS?

Did the problem improve after you flashed the BIOS back to version 310?

Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

View post
sorry for the late response, i was expecting to have some mail notification and completely forgot until now.
I did not take any screenshot, basically the second drive was not showing anywhere in the BIOS, nor in the landing page (it showed the main drive, but no arrow to view any other device), nor in the advanced configuration area.
In windows there was no trace of it except for the entry in the storage drivers that was showing a startup error.
Installing version 310 from inside the bios did solve the issue.

Falcon_ASUS
sebirojo_

Hi guys, i have exactly the same problem!! I was losing my mind xD. I have opened my PC like an ultimate option thinking that the SSD drive was wrong located 😞 but doesnt fix the problem.

I have read that you fix it reverting 310 version but I DON'T KNOW how to do that 😞

Please could you help me? Thank you!!

1. Model: fa506qm

View post
@sebirojo_
Please refer to the following FAQ to manually update the BIOS.
[Notebook] How to update BIOS with EZ Flash | Official Support | ASUS GlobalVersion 310
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/GamingNB/Image/BIOS/106905/ASUS_FA506QM_310_BIOS_Update.exe
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused.