This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi strength of an AiMesh Node

FoxScout
Star I

Hello! I apologize if this threat does not go here... but my name is Albert, and I am looking for an explanation about a problem of wifi signal's strength.

The thing is: I have a smart wifi 2.4Ghz doorbell in the street. Outside my house. Like 10 meters away of the repeater. The only things that can affect the signal is a house' wall and the street's metal door. The door is only 2 meters high, more or less. and the doorbell is like 20 cm below of the top of the door. 

The asus main router is showing that the signal of this device is strong. But in the doorbell aplicattion is showing problems of wifi strength. So... I decided to improve it, because I need good signal in order to mantain a videocall when I am outside of my home.

The main router is my precious RT-AC68U. and the configuration of the repeater was changing along time, trying to improve it. I used the LAN wire if was possible.

1- TPLink repeater RE450 (has 3 flat antennas) as Access Point: The doorbell shows low signal (I tryied this configuration 2 years ago)

2-Asus RP-AX56 as AiNode (has no visible antennas): The doorbell shows low signal. This was my longest set up configuration. As I used the AiMesh to move inside my house without WiFi problems. But no affect in the doorbell strength. but recently I bought:

3-Asus RP-AC87 (has 4 antennas) as Access Point (my fault, I though it could accept AiMesh): I configured it as Access Point. The doorbell shown GOOD signal !!! Wowee !  in fact, 4 out 5 strength lines. So, I guessed the problem were maybe the antennas. I search for an Asus device that could manage AiMesh and has 4 antennas. I didn't found anything as a repeater (talking about 2nd hand..., the prices are a little bit high for me right now for new devices, and I cannot afford it very well). So, I found:

4-Asus RT-AX53U (has 4 antennas) as AiNode: And here comes my questions and the main reason to open this topic:

The doorbell shows LOW signal !!! So, I has surprised about that... New family AX router, 4 antennas, AiMesh, ... nothing could go wrong... But the Asus portal still showing GOOD signal for the device, and the device App shows LOW signal. 

I tried to find a category in the Asus Repeater's portal but always connect to my main router. The slider of power of the signal is set to  PERFORMANCE, but it always has to do with AC68U, I cannot see this configuration in the AX53U as AiNode.... ¿Is it possible that AiMesh set the wifi strength automatically to non-performance? like BALANCED or something?

Can anyone has an explanation about this? Can anyone tell me what to do? any ideas? I am a little bit lost about it.

Thank you and best regards

3 REPLIES 3

jzchen
Rising Star II

I have an idea, which is to use the RT-AX53U as the main router, then add the RT-AC68U as node.  Move RT-AC68U to window facing/nearest the doorbell.  Be sure you update firmware/BIOS to most recent.

Set security to WPA2/WPA3 Personal. 

I’ve attached a picture of my RT-AC68U, as I suggested.  I use Velcro to prevent it from falling.

FoxScout
Star I

Thank you jzchen; So far, I managed to relocate the modem. and there was a bit of improvement. I will wait to change the RT-AX53U for the AC68U as I have looong configured everything on it (VPN, assignation of MAC/IP adress, DNS, ...) would be a pain to reconfigure it everything again.

Maybe I will try another location also. I will wait some days to check everything is OK.

You can try to backup the configuration from the RT-AC68U and restore to the RT-AX53U.  Only after confirming the RT-AX53U is functioning well as main router, hard/factory reset RT-AC68U and add it as node:

https://youtu.be/7bQyuFNuFZY?si=j1M-qXLd5Fl8tblL