This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RT-AX88U getting decent speeds at the router but slows down through the switch

Goon3D
Star I

I have an RT-AX88U router and have Fidium(Consolidated Communications) as my fiber supplier. The service I have is 2GB (I understand I can only get 1GB max with this particular router). My question is two-fold. First, at the router I'm only hitting speeds just over 700 Mbps. The router, situated in the basement, is connected through the house CAT cables to a NETGEAR GS316-100NAS switch and then to my computers. At my computers I am only getting maybe 95 Mbps. I've tried reboots of the ONT, router and switch. On occasion I can get over 900 Mbps at my computers which is what I would expect but often it reverts to being slow.

Things that have changed since this issue has started.

1. Upgraded my service from 1 Gbps to 2Gbps (Cheaper than my 1Gbps service)
  2. I believe I upgraded the firmware per the provider's instructions. If I recall, the last time I had speed issues I had to downgrade my firmware. I don't recall if it was this router or my previous router however.

Any ideas what is going on here? Is it the router? The switch? Partially the ONT(It doesn't get the full 1Gbps but it's getting decent speed)?

3 REPLIES 3

jzchen
Rising Star II

If you have 2 Gig service you should get speed around 97x Mbps at the router.  Do you have QoS turned on?  If so try turning it off.  Also please check that you have the latest AX88U BIOS 3.0.0.4.388_24198?

Goon3D
Star I

At the router I tend to get ~ 700-800 Mbps using the router's built in speed test

I've turned off QoS but still get 95 Mbps out of the switch. It is a switch built in 2019. Maybe it is struggling and needs to be replaced. It's unmanaged so there aren't any tweaks I can do there other than restart it.

Firmware is up to date

jzchen
Rising Star II

Try plugging a computer (1 Gig or higher Ethernet) directly to the ONT and run a speed test.  Then you can verify the ONT is not able to provide higher than 700-800 Mbps you note…