This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

modem to router connection keeps getting reset

hommealone
Star I

Hi. I'm looking for help diagnosing and fixing a problem with the connection between my router and my modem.

I have an RT-AC66U B1 ASUS router. It has been working well for a few years now, until recently. Recently, the connection between the cable company's modem and the router keeps dropping and getting reset. I have verified that the modem is getting a continuous uninterrupted signal from the cable company.

On a computer connected via LAN to the router, I get notices that an LAN cable is disconnected, followed by a notice that an IP address was removed, and another IP address added. (It seems to toggle back and forth between the same two IP addresses each time this happens.) Most often when this happens, the internet goes out for about 10 seconds, and then returns. It tends to happen in clusters. That sequence repeats several times over ten minutes, for example, and then I stay online solidly for several hours.

On a phone or computer connected via WiFi, I get no notices. I just lose my WiFi connection for approximately 10 or 15 seconds, and then I'm connected again. When I am near enough to the router, I get a WiFi connection over 5GHZ. Farther away, I am connected via 2.5GHZ. Both types of connection drop out simultaneously, and come back at the same time.

What might be causing a problem like that? And what steps could I try to fix it?

What kind of troubleshooting could I attempt to get more information about what's going wrong?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

hommealone
Star I

II notice that when my connection drops, the System Log "Uptime" zeros out, even though my cable modem  has a continuous connection to the cable company signal. Does that offer any clue?

I'm attaching yesterday's system log entries. I think there was only one period during the day when the connection dropped.

jzchen
Rising Star II

One time a tree knocked down the COAX drop to my house.  The light on the modem is not always reliable.  I would try temporarily connecting a computer directly to the modem and verify the dropping stops.  If it does stop clone the MAC of the computer onto the router and retry the router.