This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to modify my home network to access my new Internet provider

avragov
Star I

I have an RT-AX86U router and an ISP modem at home. The router and modem are located close to each other. Now I'm planning to change my Internet provider. The new provider's modem will not be located close to the router. I want to leave the router in the same place because several devices are connected to it via Ethernet. There is also no way to connect the router to the modem via Ethernet. I need a solution and a device that will allow me to connect the router via WiFi. What can you advise in this case? I assume that the new device will be located next to the modem and will be connected via Ethernet.

2 REPLIES 2

Aureliannn_ASUS

Hi @avragov ,

you can configure it in bridge mode to act as a wireless bridge. 

In this mode, the router will wirelessly connect to the modem and be connected to your devices via Ethernet. 

This way, your devices can still connect to the router via Ethernet, while the router connects to the modem via Wi-Fi. 

You can refer to the following FAQ for setup instructions.

[Wireless Router] How to set up media bridge mode? | Official Support | ASUS Global

Thank you.

After doing research in this area, I decided to use the following solution. Install XD5 next to the ISP modem and configure Mesh, where XD5 will work as a Mesh Router, and RT-AX86U Pro as a Mesh Node. What are the disadvantages of such a solution?