cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware: Signature Version: 2.376 2023/10/17 - Filling System Log with errors

Rooke
Star III

Router: RT-AC66U B1 (AC1750); Firmware Version: 3.0.0.4.51665 ;
On Tuesday, 2023/10/17, I noticed the entire System Log filled with the same repeating errors, all starting with error: "kernel: dcd/22609: potentially unexpected fatal signal 6." The only difference between the errors is the dcd number.

I checked the Administration menu, Firmware Upgrade tab, and found that the Firmware Signature Version had been updated to "2.376 2023/10/17 09:04" which was a couple of hours before I checked the logs.

After seeing that, I unplugged the Router for a few minutes and plugged it in again and let it boot up.

The errors went away for about an hour then came back. Subsequent (4) power off/on resulted in the same situation.

The errors do not seem to be affecting the router's performance, but the problem needs to be addressed by Asus. Attached is a snippet of the errors.

73 REPLIES 73

I saw that, and it didn't help at all. The failing dcd errors continue to occur. Yesterday, I even did a hard reset on the router, and after an hour, the errors returned.

I decided to end this nonsense and installed the Merlin latest firmware for the router:

RT-AC68U_386.12_2

Asuswrt-Merlin Changelog
========================
386.12_2 (12-Nov-2023)
- UPDATED: openssl to 1.1.1w.
- UPDATED: curl to 8.4.0.
- UPDATED: openvpn to 2.6.7.
- FIXED: WPS not working on SDK6/SDK7 devices (affecting RT-AC68U and RT-AC88U/3100/5300)
- FIXED: dcd constantly crashing (updated Trend Micro components) [ Please Note this entry ]

After installing the Merlin firmware the errors stopped happening.

I'm calling this closed for me as the Merlin firmware fixed my problem.

kevinkar
Star III

I will point out that I have recently been seeing a "reconnected" message popping up on my tablet when viewing Youtube videos showing the app thinks I've disconnected and reconnected.  I also peruse some forums on my PC and, when I click a link on the page I'm viewing to another thread or forum at that site, I sometimes get a page that says "You are offline..." after which I back up a page, click the link again and all is fine. 

This is one of the reasons I recently checked my logs for any indication of a broken connection but saw it filled with the issue we are discussing here.  While I can't prove this is causing an issue, some of the posters above have noted problems with connectivity so maybe it's related to my issue.

Sadly, Asus' router logs have never been spectacular about listing things I need to see and instead seem to constantly fill with information that is not relevant to a consumer about the workings of the router, this being one of them.  "Potentially unexpected fatal signal 6" tells me nothing but a "disconnected from cable modem" or something would clearly show there's a connection problem that needs more attention.

Separating Asus developer logs from consumer "human readable" info would be a good place to start.

kevinkar
Star III

I'd also like to comment that Merlin firmware is not actually a solution to an OEM problem.  While I understand Merlin is being constantly updated and can indeed fix issues, those of us who don't really need all the extended features and are still using Asus FW can't use that as a solution.

This issue still exists without an official Asus solution and, being this is an Asus forum and not Merlin, should this thread really be showing as solved?

I support a couple of legal firms, each using ASUS RT-AC68U's.

Firmware supported by a 3rd party may not be the most responsible solution

I hadn't thought about it that way.  I'll remove the solution.