This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ax-5400 not handing out wifi 6 signal to wifi 6 enabled devices

I just purchased an RT AX-5400 router because my old rt ac86u was having some issues it seemed, and I figured since I have some devices now that are wifi 6 enabled I may as well uupgrade. That being said I saved the configuration of my old router to move the settings over to the new one. Everything went smoothly until I started trying to change bandwidth frequencies for the 5Ghz network as I wasn't getting a stable signal to devices that can utilize 5GHz that are only about 40 feet away from the router with one wall to go through. When I changed the frequency things seemed to get a bit better then the signal kept dropping on 5Ghz every couple minutes. So then I switched it so the router could use whatever frequency was best, 40/60/80/160, and then all of a sudden I lost wifi entirely. So then I tried to access the web interface again without being hardwired to the router and couldn't do so. For whatever reason the router was no longer getting a 192.168.1.1 IP but was now getting 192.168.0.1 which made no sense cause all I did was change the wifi frequency. So then I decided to re-upload the configuration from my old router again and nothing would work. So then I factory reset the router and was able to get back to the web interface on a hardwire and upload the configuration again and at this point everything was working as it was when I did the upload the first time. Through all of this I never got a wifi 6 signal to my wifi 6 enabled devices except for after I changed the 5Ghz band to 160hz if, I remember correctly. Now that everything is back to working fully though, despite having wifi 6 enabled on the routers wifi settings for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, I am still not getting a wifi 6 signal to my galaxy s21. I also have a wifi 6 enabled fire tv stick 4k max but have no way of telling if it is getting a wifi 6 signal. My questions are, am I missing something that may be causing the router to not hand out wifi 6 to devices that can use it and is this because I have a mixed wifi 5 and wifi 6 network of devices so it is handing out the lowest common denominator? Also why is my 5Ghz signal strength so poor at such short distances? I know 5Ghz doesn't do well over longer runs and through obstacles but the 5Ghz band isn't saturated really in my area and it's still poor.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jzchen
Rising Star II

Hmm.  The 40/60/80/160 is the bandwidth setting.  The actual frequency setting is Channel.

Please verify that under Advanced Settings -> Wireless -> Wireless - General (default tab) - Authentication Method is set to WPA2/WPA3 - Personal.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

jzchen
Rising Star II

Hmm.  The 40/60/80/160 is the bandwidth setting.  The actual frequency setting is Channel.

Please verify that under Advanced Settings -> Wireless -> Wireless - General (default tab) - Authentication Method is set to WPA2/WPA3 - Personal.

That seems to have done the trick. I'm getting wifi 6 now on both 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz and my speeds on 5Ghz are about 350Mb/s down to my phone and my firetv stick seems to be getting a stable 5Ghz connection now. Thank you so much for your help.