This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS and Fritz!Box

Altocumulus
Star I

My ASUS mesh system, comprising 5 nodes worked behind a Fritz!Box 7530 for 18 months. 3 nodes wired, two wireless.

One ASUS WAN wired to the F!B LAN - F!B as Internet and Digital Voice connection. I had decent throughput from Internet - 70M+ down 12 up.

A few weeks ago the F!B 7530 was damaged during a storm. Zen UK provided a replacement 7530 AX.

Despite same settings in both, ASUS is now occasionally as low as 125k whilst F!B maintains the previous 70+.

ASUS master set as AP and picks up IP from the Fritz whilst running a separate SSD LAN with its own dhcp.

Have tried passthrough setting on the Fritz with ASUS as pppoe, but that doesn't connect.

Can anyone advise on a solution?

Zen UK agents used to be good at helping with router settings, but now refuse to consider assisting anything that's not Fritz - The ASUS mesh is 5 nodes, so an expensive kit to get rid!

Will Fritz accept ASUS units within its own mesh system?  I'd guess not.

4 REPLIES 4

jzchen
Zen Master I

Do you think the lightning may have damaged the ASUS Access Point (router)?  Since it is a LAN port try moving the Ethernet cable to a different LAN port on the ASUS router and test speed again.

Thanks for the idea, but the connection being used on the ASUS is its WAN port.

Actually, there is a distinction/difference when the router is in different modes:

As a "Router" the port used to connect is considered a WAN port.

As an "Access Point" the port used to connect to the rest of your LAN is a LAN port.

ASUS routers usually have many ports that function BOTH as WAN or LAN so a lot of times just changing the setting on the router works, but on rare occasion the port being used only works as WAN, or only works as LAN, and the Ethernet connection needs to be moved.

LaylaColeman
Star I

Thank you so much for the help.