Supermatico
Star III

Hello to all, first my situation is

RT-AX88U PRO as master router

RT-AX88U as AiMesh node

both connected with an ethernet cable CAT 6a

Now, the master is setted in PPPoE and its WAN I suppose is already at 2.5Gb

The master LAN port at 2.5Gb is connected to the node WAN port 1Gb

Now, is it possible to have a LAN/WAN aggregation on the node RT-AX88U to better meet the master speed?

I read that the aggregation in AiMesh is not possible, but when the routers are connected via WIFI, in backhaul mode I can not found any info

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jzchen
Rising Star II

I read through some instructions for this.  What I found appears to confirm what you say, that it is not possible to Link Aggregate an AiMesh node.

The setting on the router (master router as you note, ASUS simply designates that as router), should be under switch control when attempting on the LAN side.

For nodes (since they are by ASUS definition connected on WAN side to routers) you would want to try to find WAN Aggregation in the node.

IF this is not available, again per research ASUS says it is not on nodes, you may consider changing the node to an Access Point mode.  (You lose AiMesh between the two).  By ASUS definition in Access Point mode the RT-AX88U is now connected to the Pro via it's LAN port, not it's WAN port, and then Link Aggregation may be attempted between the two, BOTH under switch control settings.  (They are both connected together via LAN).  It is sensitive.  Be sure you have a pair of exact same cable to connect the two...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

jzchen
Rising Star II

I read through some instructions for this.  What I found appears to confirm what you say, that it is not possible to Link Aggregate an AiMesh node.

The setting on the router (master router as you note, ASUS simply designates that as router), should be under switch control when attempting on the LAN side.

For nodes (since they are by ASUS definition connected on WAN side to routers) you would want to try to find WAN Aggregation in the node.

IF this is not available, again per research ASUS says it is not on nodes, you may consider changing the node to an Access Point mode.  (You lose AiMesh between the two).  By ASUS definition in Access Point mode the RT-AX88U is now connected to the Pro via it's LAN port, not it's WAN port, and then Link Aggregation may be attempted between the two, BOTH under switch control settings.  (They are both connected together via LAN).  It is sensitive.  Be sure you have a pair of exact same cable to connect the two...

Yes, I supposed to be like you said, unfortunately

Thanks for your time

I actually have two AiMesh networks running in my house right now.  Both set up as Access Points to my AT&T residential gateway, (required so I use it as a router).  So one is a BE98 Pro, and the other is an AXE16000.  The reason is to allow use of the 6 GHz on the AXE16000.  I turn ON WiFi Agile MultiBand on all radios...

What I'm saying is you may find what you're looking to achieve by sacrificing AiMesh for Link Aggregation.  It doesn't hurt to try if you already have a pair of matching Ethernet cables...

Tks but no, I don't want to renounce to the AiMesh, when it's working (I had to replace two routers to find one working with the other one, it is NOT universal between ASUS supported routers) it's fantastic.

I prefer, one day when I'll have more money to waste, to discard the 88U and buy another 88U PRO with native 2.5Gb ports

Tks for your time, have a nice day