This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z590 Motherboard will only POST with 1 RAM Module in B2 Slot

Randem
Star I

Z590 WiFi GUNDAM Edition Motherboard will only POST with 1 RAM Module in A2 Slot. If I add RAM in the B2 slot the motherboard will not POST. No matter what RAM goes in paired or unpaired the same issue presents. I have asked ASUS but no answer from them.

However if I put RAM in the A2 and A1 Slots the motherboard will POST and show the correct amount of memory. But If I add any more RAM modules the motherboard will not POST. The manual states that the RAM should be in the A2 and B2 slots for Dual Channel but it will not POST with RAM there. Motherboard is rated at 128GB.

I have used 8GB, 16GB and 32GB paired modules ans=d the results are the same. Is there some setting to get the motherboard to run in Dual Channel? Or even with all 4 RAM Modules?

The manual states A2 and B2 but that configuration does not work...

6 REPLIES 6

Jiaszzz_ASUS

Hello, @Randem 

May I inquire about the brand, model, and part number of the memory you are installing or have tested?
Regarding memory specifications, we would recommend installing memory listed in the QVL for the Z590 WIFI GUNDAM EDITION to ensure compatibility and stability.
Please find relevant information in [Motherboard] How to query (CPU/memory) QVL List? and the "purchasing and installation guide" located in the upper left corner of the QVL page.

Meanwhile, could you confirm your current BIOS version?
If you haven't updated to the latest version 1801 released on January 4, 2024, please consider updating and clearing CMOS, then check again.

Thank you.

Randem
Star I

Aloha Jiaszzz_ASUS,

I have updated to 1801 and can only get the motherboard to work in A1 and A2 slots of which I believe are the single channel slots.

I am using Crucial Pro CP2K16G4DFRA32A 3200Mhz RAM Modules (Micron) which are not on the list.

If I understand what you are meaning is only the memory modules on the QVL list will run in dual channel mode?

I did find this Crucial Balistix BLM8G40C18U4B.M8FE1 and also BLM8G40C18U4L (no .M8FE1). The BLM8G40C18U4B.M8FE1 seems to not be made any more. Is the BLM8G40C18U4L model the same type dual channel RAM?

It cost $299 which is a bit more that the pro that I have at $79.

Hello, @Randem 

May I ask if the situation you described happened after any changes were made? For example, adjusting the BIOS settings or connecting an external device
Could you please try installing only one memory module at a time in either the A2 or B2 slot to further clarify if there are any abnormalities in the DIMM slots?
Additionally, please also test each module separately within the same kit to check for any abnormalities in each memory module.

Thank you.

Yes, All this was done as explained in the OP. We are a computer shop and need to know how this board works, It seems that only the $299 Ram modules will work in a dual channel mode. This is happening on a brand new motherboard.  It would have helped in the manual or somewhere that it would state that some RAM is single channel RAM and the ones on the QVL list are dual channel RAM. The manual only tells in which position RAM modules are to be placed and totally ignores the single channel RAM placement or any mention of this design. The manual should state both types of RAM and their placement. Single channel RAM CANNOT be place in the same slots that dual channel RAM can or the motherboard will not POST.