This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix 790-H no boot

pbtxlady
Star I

Purchased this board last November (2023). After build, it halted at DRAM Q-LED. All fans on, LEDs on RAM are lit, but it will not progress. Tried cleaning and re-seating DIMMs, tested other configurations. Realized DRAM was newer than the approved list, so exchanged it for older G.Skill Trident Z5, which is on the list. Same problem. Returned motherboard to vendor and received a new one. After several months delay on the build, we got back to it and are experiencing the SAME problem, again. CPU Q-LED turns red and then off. Board is powered, 5 fans working, and DIMM LEDs are lit. Will not move past DRAM Q-LED. Two different boards, two sets of RAM--not very likely all are defective. Are we missing something obvious? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pbtxlady
Star I

Posting for any future searchers. I finally got this system running today. It is stable and running like a dream. I'm not sure what actually fixed the problem. May have been reseating the RAM, but I think the magic trick was slightly lessening the CPU cooler bracket. It was snug, not overly tight, but these sockets seem to be very sensitive. I just turned it maybe 1/8 turn, and POST came right up. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

williamwalker
Star I

Wow, pbtxlady, that sounds frustrating! Have you checked the ASUS Q-LED manual for detailed troubleshooting on the DRAM light? It might give some specific clues about what's preventing boot. Good luck!

pbtxlady
Star I

Thanks for your reply. I'm not familiar with a Q-LED manual? Just going by what's in the motherboard manual and what troubleshooting Support has posted online.  We've done everything listed there. 

pbtxlady
Star I

Posting for any future searchers. I finally got this system running today. It is stable and running like a dream. I'm not sure what actually fixed the problem. May have been reseating the RAM, but I think the magic trick was slightly lessening the CPU cooler bracket. It was snug, not overly tight, but these sockets seem to be very sensitive. I just turned it maybe 1/8 turn, and POST came right up.