cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Maximus Z790 Hero 128 Gb RAM

LesXXX
Star I

Does the board really support 128 Gb ?

I have problems with 4x32 Gb Gskill Trident Z5. I suspect this may be BIOS issue - my version is 816 (the comp was bought 1 year ago).

Does the latest BIOS support 128 Gb RAM ?

2 REPLIES 2

Jiaszzz_ASUS

Hello, @LesXXX 

According to the ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO official website specifications, the maximum supported memory is 4 x DIMM, 192GB.

Could you please describe the memory issue you are experiencing, such as stuttering, blue screens, or failure to boot?

Have you tried updating to the latest BIOS version 2301, released on May 30, 2024, clearing CMOS, and booting into the system without any overclocking settings, including XMP?
You can also install a single RAM module in the DIMM_A2 slot and gradually add other modules once it is stable.

Meanwhile, ASUS has verified the motherboard for the best stability and compatibility when installed with the devices in Memory QVL list.
The memory QVL does not list any G.Skill 4x32GB modules for any CPU series, thus, if needed, kindly try cross-testing with the memory listed in the QVL.

Thank you.

Yes, the issue is resolved 🙂 I installed 2x32Gb sticks at A2 and B2 slots to get the comp working. Then I installed the 2301 version of BIOS (although I haven't touched CMOS...).   After BIOS update, I added another kit 2x32Gb (total 128Gb). The comp works fine at DRAM frequency of 5400 MHz, displays small instability at 5600, and won't boot at all at 5800. CPU - overcklocked. The 4x32Gb RAM is not listed, I used 2 kits of 2x32Gb.  My previous version of BIOS was 816 - which was the problem, as 128Gb wasn't fully supported yet (or so it appears).