This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Pro WS W680 ACE - SlimSAS broken after the new ASUS intel BIOS Update

danman
Star II

I updated the Intel ME driver along with the BIOS and now I seem to be having issues with it recognizing any drives I have plugged in through SlimSas port.
I’m still able to POST, boot up, and log into my host operating system; however, when I go into the BIOS>advanced> storage… I’m only seeing two drives I have plugged into SATA ports-- NOT any of the drives plugged into the SlimSAS.

Any help that can be offered?

10 REPLIES 10

danman
Star II

OS version and OS build

So Ive BEEN using Unraid to use this as a storage server, however, in preparation for the BIOS updates I installed windows on "Seagate IronWolf 12TB x1 (RECOGNIZED)" which was unmapped to anything in the storage array. I set that as my boot device and proceeded with the Intel ME update then the BIOS update.

Windows 11 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.2861)

Hello @danman 
Thank you for providing the relevant hardware information.
Before consolidating with the relevant department to investigate the issue with the hard drive not being recognized through SlimSAS, we would like to further clarify:
- It seems that the original post has not been updated to BIOS version 3802.
Could you please confirm which BIOS version was initially updated when the issue with the hard drive not being recognized through SlimSAS first occurred?
Before any BIOS updates, were all drives correctly recognized in the BIOS?
- If you set SATA Controller(s) and SLIMSAS_1 - SLIMSAS_4 to [Enabled] under BIOS > Advanced settings path and also set Onboard Devices Configuration > SlimSAS Configuration to [SATA mode], then reboot, does the BIOS recognize the hard drives connected via SlimSAS?

If not, please also share screenshots of these settings in the BIOS.

Thank you.

- It seems that the original post has not been updated to BIOS version 3802.
Could you please confirm which BIOS version was initially updated when the issue with the hard drive not being recognized through SlimSAS first occurred?

Hey just to clarify, it WAS updated in the original post, i just had forgotten to run the BIOS renamer. After the inital installation of 3802, I ran the renamer and reinstalled the BIOS version 3802 in the event that had caused any issues.

Before any BIOS updates, were all drives correctly recognized in the BIOS?
- If you set SATA Controller(s) and SLIMSAS_1 - SLIMSAS_4 to [Enabled] under BIOS > Advanced settings path and also set Onboard Devices Configuration > SlimSAS Configuration to [SATA mode], then reboot, does the BIOS recognize the hard drives connected via SlimSAS

Yes all drives were properly assigned and recognized in the BIOS PRIOR to the update. Now the drives are not recognized.

I will get back to you with pictures for sure but Im fairly certain they are all in SATA Mode. If it isnt in SATA mode then I will perform the flip, reboot, and come back here.

Attached is the photo showing that SATA controller is enabled for storage and that SLIMSAS 1-4 are enabled.

Ignore my last post, PEKAC error. I reread and missed your comment about the onboard devices setting. That must have gotten switched to PCI during the update.

Reverted it to SATA and now it's recognized and working as expected. Thanks so much for the help!!!!