This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Stock ROM Not Working?

elias888
Star II

Model Name: Zenfone Max Pro M2 ASUS_X01BDA (ZB631KL-4D103TW)
Firmware Version: OPM1.WW_Phone-15.2016.1902.192-20190226
Rooted or not: not rooted, bootloader unlocked - yes
Frequency of Occurrence: Always
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Can't re-install stock ROM
========================================
A. I tried installing LineageOS tonight: booted into TWRP recovery, wiped everything, tried to sideload LineageOS but said my firmware was too old (Said I needed at least 16.2017.1905.065)
B. Now I'm trying to go back to stock android ROM, so I can update the firmware.
C. Downloaded the file UL-ASUS_X01BD-WW-16.2017.2005.092-user.zip from ASUS website.
D. Booted into TWRP, tried to use 'adb sideload UL-ASUS_X01BD-WW-16.2017.2005.092-user.zip' to load stock ROM but I get the error:
"E3004: This package is for "ASUS_X01BD" devices: this is a "X01BD".
I also tried puting the zip file into / directory, and rebooting. That didn't work.
So now I have a phone with no operating system, stuck in fastboot/TWRP.
====
Any suggestions how to get stock ROM back on the Zenphone? Thank you.
15 REPLIES 15

vckanandvpp
Rising Star II
elias888

Update!

1. I got into TWRP fastboot, tried to adb sideload Lineage right away but still said I didn't have the right firmware. In Asus recovery it said I had PKQ1.16.2017.1910_071-20190920
  2. So I sideloaded a stock ROM and it worked!
  3. Looking in Settings - System - About Phone and it says i have build number: PKQ1.WW_Phone-16.2017.2005.092-20200518. It seems I should be good to install Lineage OS now. I just have to work up the courage to try again 😄

View post
As per XDA developer guide , When you flash stock ROM zip file directly from ASUS site , TWRP or any recovery will get replaced with stock one. In XDA developer fourm there are custom Recovery flashable zip available for 72 73 and 75 versions. Even there are steps provided for installation of firmware from ASUS official zip file with out loosing custom recovery.

I am using Havoc Os with 424 latest beta firmware. It's working smoothly.
My another suggestion.
At present Android 10 based lineage OS is not available officially. But unofficial ROM is there in XDA fourm. Meanwhile you can use Android 9 official version
If you need offical 10 based ROM then you can try Pixel experience for pure UI Havoc OS for high customisation , Stock mod for UI near to stock rom with better performance.

elias888
Star II
cool. thanks for the suggestion.
I went back to install LineageOS 16.0 and it worked! Success!

kprsnt
Star II
vckanandvpp

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/90225#Comment_90225

As per XDA developer guide , When you flash stock ROM zip file directly from ASUS site , TWRP or any recovery will get replaced with stock one. In XDA developer fourm there are custom Recovery flashable zip available for 72 73 and 75 versions. Even there are steps provided for installation of firmware from ASUS official zip file with out loosing custom recovery.

I am using Havoc Os with 424 latest beta firmware. It's working smoothly.

My another suggestion.

At present Android 10 based lineage OS is not available officially. But unofficial ROM is there in XDA fourm. Meanwhile you can use Android 9 official version

If you need offical 10 based ROM then you can try Pixel experience for pure UI Havoc OS for high customisation , Stock mod for UI near to stock rom with better performance.

View post
Try Paranoid android rom u will definitely love it if u don't want any customisation

Unofficial lineage 17.1 by rk also too good

RadeonPS
Rising Star II
kprsnt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/90237#Comment_90237

Try Paranoid android rom u will definitely love it if u don't want any customisation

Unofficial lineage 17.1 by rk also too good

View post
Can you give a good link for anyone starting to shift to custom rom from stock rom who hasn't used any tool before?

vckanandvpp
Rising Star II
Anandu

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/90527#Comment_90527

Can you give a good link for anyone starting to shift to custom rom from stock rom who hasn't used any tool before?

View post
XDA developer fourm is the best platform to learn about how to use custom ROM
Unlocking bootloader , installing recovery , installing new rom , custom Google apps , Rooting( If needed) etc you can get any information from there