This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prolonging the battery life

vedhprakashy
Star II
This my first new phone I've ever gotten and I want to do anything I can to prolong the battery on-screen time and overall lifespan of it. I've already done most of my research on this topic myself and have applied what I learned, such as partial charging, avoiding hot places, planning to stop using fast/hyper-charging and a few more. I want to know what are you guys' take on this topic. Any tips are appreciated, it'll help both me and passing readers. Thank you in advance! ?
25 REPLIES 25

jetjosh92
Rising Star II
julienvd93

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/43549#Comment_43549

The study applies to lithium based batteries. The full name of li-po is a lithium-ion polymer battery. A li-po battery is a lithium-ion battery with a polymer as the electrolyte compared to a li-ion battery that uses a liquid electrolyte.

Short answer: fundamentally yes.

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/43550#Comment_43550

A lot changed in BMS. Not that much changed in the battery design and chemical composition. This study applies if we are talking about degredation caused by elevated SOC.

I agree about the 2 year argument but TS asks how to prolong battery life, not if he should worry about battery life if he replaces his phone every 2 years.

you're giving him advice that degrades the battery faster (by keeping the SOC 80+%) which is the opposite thing of what he wants.

View post
well my advice is quite simply common sense and not a study that was done 8 years ago. A lot has changed with hardware and software.
A battery has a standard number of charging cycles. There is no way you can increase the number of cycles but only stretch it. Is it worth losing sleep or compromising your daily routine or your time with friends/family ? I don't think so.
In this day and age, we depend heavily on our mobile devices so I am sure the team who has designed the ROG phone 2 has already accounted for all the different scenarios before picking the components. I am sure the people who made the battery has done numerous extreme test on the battery in their lab and already know how long the battery would last.
It is not the first time I am using a mobile phone, and from experience and all the methods I have tried out over the years...trying to manage the battery usage does not bring much difference, especially if most of us are going to end up selling or trading in our devices for a newer model every two years on average.
If a phone's battery is good for 2 years then it is good for 2 years and if for whatever reason you choose to continue using the device for another year or two just go to a repair store or ASUS service centre and replace the battery.
and since you are the spare parts aliexpress guru I am sure you are able to find battery replacement on aliexpress for really a good price.
And if you want to preach about managing the battery that much as an advice I doubt billions of the world population would even bother to follow it because most of us are probably guilty of over charging it over night which is worse.
My advice is just to keep heat down.
The phone is equipped with a battery of 6000 mAh why you would want any less and if it has hyper charge ? why not just use it ? why baby the device and make it a burden? why enslave yourself to technology when it is suppose to work for us instead ? I don't get why would anyone want to advice someone to change his daily routine just to manage a phone battery ? totally unrealistic, are you going to ask a heavy mobile gamer to stop gaming just to manage battery life ?
vedhprakashy

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/43495#Comment_43495

But this article applies to li-ion batteries. Can the same explanation here be used on li-po batteries? The one that the ROG Phone 2 is using?

View post
Just don't lose sleep over it and enjoy gaming.

julienvd93
Rising Star II
jetjosh92

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/43558#Comment_43558

well my advice is quite simply common sense and not a study that was done 8 years ago. A lot has changed with hardware and software.

A battery has a standard number of charging cycles. There is no way you can increase the number of cycles but only stretch it. Is it worth losing sleep or compromising your daily routine or your time with friends/family ? I don't think so.

In this day and age, we depend heavily on our mobile devices so I am sure the team who has designed the ROG phone 2 has already accounted for all the different scenarios before picking the components. I am sure the people who made the battery has done numerous extreme test on the battery in their lab and already know how long the battery would last.

It is not the first time I am using a mobile phone, and from experience and all the methods I have tried out over the years...trying to manage the battery usage does not bring much difference, especially if most of us are going to end up selling or trading in our devices for a newer model every two years on average.

If a phone's battery is good for 2 years then it is good for 2 years and if for whatever reason you choose to continue using the device for another year or two just go to a repair store or ASUS service centre and replace the battery.

and since you are the spare parts aliexpress guru I am sure you are able to find battery replacement on aliexpress for really a good price.

And if you want to preach about managing the battery that much as an advice I doubt billions of the world population would even bother to follow it because most of us are probably guilty of over charging it over night which is worse.

The phone is equipped with a battery of 6000 mAh why you would want any less and if it has hyper charge ? why not just use it ? why baby the device and make it a burden? why enslave yourself to technology when it is suppose to work for us instead ? I don't get why would anyone want to advice someone to change his daily routine just to manage a phone battery ? totally unrealistic, are you going to ask a heavy mobile gamer to stop gaming just to manage battery life ?

View post
Battery's do have an expected number of charging cycles from 0-100. But studies have shown that the number of charging cycles can be in increased exponentially by using a smaller DOD in the lower SOC spectrum. This is why satalites can use lithium-ion batteries for decades.
Phones are consumer devices which means that they are engineered to only last a couple of years. After that the battery fails. Because of the huge capacity of the ROG phone battery you could easily use a much smaller battery spectrum just like satalites/ electric cars do and increase the amount of usable years without getting hindered in your daily use.
Yes you can find spare batteries on Ali expres for cheap but that doesn't mean that you have to buy them.
I don't want to preach anything.. I just wanted to correct an advice that you gave the TS. No hard feelings..
I agree overcharging is worse but that's not happening. The BMS is preventing overcharging. What is happening when leaving your phone hooked up to a charger at night is that the battery is spending a lot of time very high in its SOC which is what causes battery degredation. This is why the scheduled charging works like it does. It stops charging at 80% and finishes charging a relative short time before the set end time.
Keeping heat down is good advice.
I don't know how to answer to your last paragraph. I'm not asking anyone to do anything nor am I "babying" my device. All I am doing is giving TS the advice that he asks for. It's up to him if he wants to "baby" his device. He only wanted to know how to prolong battery life. And that is done by:
1 reducing heat
2 reducing SOC
3 reducing DOD
These are 3 reasons why non-consumer lithium ion batteries can be used for decades and consumer lithium-ion batteries fail after 2 years.
I'm sorry that you felt like I was attacking your opinions but that is not my goal.

vedhprakashy
Star II
Relax guys, all I want is to extend my phone battery life for as long as possible. If it's just a few habit changes I don't mind doing it. I'm not babysitting it like you elaborated, I just want this phone to last long enough that I can use it for both gaming and for working outside of my pc. It's not like I'm skipping the gaming qualities of the phone, holding the device itself encourages me to play some games when I have some free time to spare. I want to keep this phone as my main device for as long as I can and not plan on buying another smartphone.
jetjosh92

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/43558#Comment_43558

View post
Hold up, the phone's battery is replaceable???

julienvd93
Rising Star II
vedhprakashy

Relax guys, all I want is to extend my phone battery life for as long as possible. If it's just a few habit changes I don't mind doing it. I'm not babysitting it like you elaborated, I just want this phone to last long enough that I can use it for both gaming and for working outside of my pc. It's not like I'm skipping the gaming qualities of the phone, holding the device itself encourages me to play some games when I have some free time to spare. I want to keep this phone as my main device for as long as I can and not plan on buying another smartphone.

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/43574#Comment_43574

Hold up, the phone's battery is replaceable???

View post
I understand. imo the easiest and most effective thing to do is to set the scheduled charging end time to somewhere in the middle of the day. That way when you wake up in the morning the phone is charged up to 80%. You will lose 20% of the phones total capacity but you don't have to change your charging behaviour. For me the 6000mah battery is large enough to only use 80% of it and never run out of juice. But that might be different for you depending on usage. But that's just my opinion.
If you have a heat gun and are not afraid to open up the phone then the battery is replaceable. But it's not like the good old days where you could open the back of the phone.

OPC
Zen Master II
julienvd93

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/43641#Comment_43641

I understand. imo the easiest and most effective thing to do is to set the scheduled charging end time to somewhere in the middle of the day. That way when you wake up in the morning the phone is charged up to 80%. You will lose 20% of the phones total capacity but you don't have to change your charging behaviour. For me the 6000mah battery is large enough to only use 80% of it and never run out of juice. But that might be different for you depending on usage. But that's just my opinion.

If you have a heat gun and are not afraid to open up the phone then the battery is replaceable. But it's not like the good old days where you could open the back of the phone.

View post
Exactly that I have done setting my scheduled charging to 8 AM and I wake up between 6:30 and 7:00. So it's never completely charged. And that's it.