This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plans for VOLTE on ROG Phone II

kkithoe47
Star III
So, I am one of those ROG Phone II owners (global version) and go figure, I do not have VOLTE on my phone as well. I've been reading up some posts and forums in regards to VOLTE. What I get from it all is that the option for VOLTE requires both parties (carrier and and phone software) to fulfill certain criteria and ASUS apparently have to get confirmation from carriers so that VOLTE can function. So here's the thing, I know that the ROG Phone II is capable of VOLTE. But I am not sure whether the feature is enabled or disabled in the ROM or its just that my carrier is not sending the information required (IMS registration) for VOLTE to be enabled on my phone.
One thing is for certain is that I know my carrier has VOLTE. So which is it? ROM side or Carrier side that needs to enable whether that needs to be enabled for it to work?
I have read someone actually succeeded in enabling VOLTE by forcefully enabling it (editing system level file and ADB sideload). Obviously doing so voids warranty but this also tells me that ASUS colud actually just enable the feature and that would be up to respective carriers' to support this feature. Can ASUS simply just leave VOLTE option on then?
17 REPLIES 17

jetjosh92
Rising Star II
Quite a number of threads on this already ?

jetjosh92
Rising Star II
Hey man,
Most of us do not have the VoLTE settings available in the network settings menu and yes it involves both ASUS and the Carrier/Service provider. ASUS has the hardware to support VoLTE but the carrier needs to agree to support the device.
I always had the impression that as long as a device supports VoLTE, I will be able to enjoy that service but no and I have confirmed this with both the Mods here and my local Carrier Singtel. I am from Singapore by the way and VoLTE was introduced in 2014.
ASUS does not have to do anything to enable VoLTE, it is already in every device but the VoLTE settings will only pop up when you put in a Sim card from a carrier that supports the device. I know that there are some people who have claimed that they have tweaked the files from a ROG phone that has activated VoLTE but does it really work ? We are not sure because even if you were able to get the settings to show up, you still lack the IMS registration from the carrier..
I know this for a fact because I have another spare VoLTE supported device which is also supported by my local carrier. It has no sim card at the moment. The VoLTE options is not in the settings but the moment I put my sim card into that phone, the phone would apply the sim card settings and it will then reboot itself and the VoLTE option would pop up.
You can refer to my thread Cheers!
jetjosh92

I always thought that as long as a device is able to support 4G/VoLTE it will work with any Carrier/Service provider. Wrong!

So I reached out to my Carrier/Service provider and they confirmed that the ROG Phone ll isn't on their list of supported devices and I will not be able to enjoy the benefits of VoLte even if my mobile plan includes that service and the ROG phone is able to support it.

I had the wrong impression that Asus was the one not enabling the VoLTE option in our devices until I did some research. So apparently Asus has to reach out to the carrier and the carrier also has to agree to support the device. Having VoLTE in your mobile plan and a phone that supports VoLTE does not complete the puzzle.

So here are my few guesses.

Asus did reach out to many carriers but they probably did not get the green light and it may be due to the fact that the ROG Phone may not be that popular compared to the mainstream brands and it was designed to be for a niche market ?

Or maybe the Carriers are still in the process of getting the ROG Phone ll supported ?

I honestly have no idea at all. So let's just hope the Carriers we have stuck with for so long are going to make some changes to that. For myself I am probably going try my luck at getting the staff at Singtel (Carrier/Service provider) to try and see if they can try to activate it for me some how.

Link below is just for reference, maybe you guys might want to try giving your Carrier a call and see if they can do anything at all.

If you have any thoughts of your own, feel free to share it below!

Cheers! ?

https://www.singtel.com/personal/products-services/mobile/4g

Reason why some of us do not have VoLTE on ROG Phone ll

kkithoe47
Star III

jetjosh92

Hey man,

Most of us do not have the VoLTE settings available in the network settings menu and yes it involves both ASUS and the Carrier/Service provider. ASUS has the hardware to support VoLTE but the carrier needs to agree to support the device.

I always had the impression that as long as a device supports VoLTE, I will be able to enjoy that service but no and I have confirmed this with both the Mods here and my local Carrier Singtel. I am from Singapore by the way and VoLTE was introduced in 2014.

ASUS does not have to do anything to enable VoLTE, it is already in every device but the VoLTE settings will only pop up when you put in a Sim card from a carrier that supports the device. I know that there are some people who have claimed that they have tweaked the files from a ROG phone that has activated VoLTE but does it really work ? We are not sure because even if you were able to get the settings to show up, you still lack the IMS registration from the carrier..

I know this for a fact because I have another spare VoLTE supported device which is also supported by my local carrier. It has no sim card at the moment. The VoLTE options is not in the settings but the moment I put my sim card into that phone, the phone would apply the sim card settings and it will then reboot itself and the VoLTE option would pop up.

You can refer to my thread Cheers!

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/13892/reason-why-some-of-us-do-not-have-volte-on-rog-phone-ll

View post
Oh hey dude,
We are practically neighbors then. I'm from Malaysia and my carrier, Unifi does support VoLTE as I did have that feature on while using my Huawei P20 Pro previously. I guess I was a little excited about getting ROG Phone II that VoLTE totally slipped my mind. Now that I got it, I realized that its not supported by carrier which is odd since this phone has been insanely popular here as well with all the marketing and stuff.
So, its all down to our respective carriers whether they wanna support this phone with VoLTE eh? That seriously blows man..
I could send an email to my carrier support line, but I'm expecting I would usually get a very standard response like, "Hi there! Please refer to our list of VoLTE supported phones. Your phone is not on the list and it is VoLTE supported."
I supposed we are at the whims of our carriers then.

OPC
Zen Master II
kkithoe47

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/33059#Comment_33059

Oh hey dude,

We are practically neighbors then. I'm from Malaysia and my carrier, Unifi does support VoLTE as I did have that feature on while using my Huawei P20 Pro previously. I guess I was a little excited about getting ROG Phone II that VoLTE totally slipped my mind. Now that I got it, I realized that its not supported by carrier which is odd since this phone has been insanely popular here as well with all the marketing and stuff.

So, its all down to our respective carriers whether they wanna support this phone with VoLTE eh? That seriously blows man..

I could send an email to my carrier support line, but I'm expecting I would usually get a very standard response like, "Hi there! Please refer to our list of VoLTE supported phones. Your phone is not on the list and it is VoLTE supported."

I supposed we are at the whims of our carriers then.

View post
I got the same reply from my carrier. "Check on our website the list of supported phones". And Rog 2 in not on the list. I guess we will have to live with this for the lifespan of this device.