Battery or AC: Both
Model: B1500CEAE
Frequency of occurrence: always
Reset OS: all drivers and bios up-to-date
Screenshot or video: none yet
========================
Detailed description:
Hello,
I bought this PC a few days ago and have not been able to get the BIOS/OS to recognize any hard-disks I have tried to add to the system. This additional harddrive was a main criteria for me in selecting this hardware.
I have tried two 2.5" mechanical drives (Hitachi and Seagate) as well as a Kingston 2.5" Sata SSD and none of them are detected by the BIOS, nor the OS ofcourse.
What further steps do I have to undertake to get this PC up and running with its factory M.2 SSD and the added 2.5" Sata drive?
Please note that all drivers and the bios are up-to-date and that all three drives work perfectly in other systems. Also, the mechanical drives do seem to spin up at bootup but remain invisible to the bios and operating system.
My best guess is a defective connector cable that was supplied with the caddy and its eight screws. Another culprit could be the motherboard sata connector. I have not found any options in the BIOS allowing me to change anything related to above.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading me - chute
6 REPLIES 6

Falcon_ASUS
chutetearer2013
  1. System: Asus ExpertBook
  2. Battery or AC: Both
  3. Model: B1500CEAE
  4. Frequency of occurrence: always
  5. Reset OS: all drivers and bios up-to-date
  6. Screenshot or video: none yet

========================

Detailed description:

Hello,

I bought this PC a few days ago and have not been able to get the BIOS/OS to recognize any hard-disks I have tried to add to the system. This additional harddrive was a main criteria for me in selecting this hardware.

I have tried two 2.5" mechanical drives (Hitachi and Seagate) as well as a Kingston 2.5" Sata SSD and none of them are detected by the BIOS, nor the OS ofcourse.

What further steps do I have to undertake to get this PC up and running with its factory M.2 SSD and the added 2.5" Sata drive?

Please note that all drivers and the bios are up-to-date and that all three drives work perfectly in other systems. Also, the mechanical drives do seem to spin up at bootup but remain invisible to the bios and operating system.

My best guess is a defective connector cable that was supplied with the caddy and its eight screws. Another culprit could be the motherboard sata connector. I have not found any options in the BIOS allowing me to change anything related to above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading me - chute

Adding 2nd drive to a B1500 but it remains undetected
@chutetearer2013
May I ask what is the capacity of the hard disk you installed?

Hello Falcon_ASUS,
Tried it with three different drives. The mechanical drives I tested are 250GB disks and the SATA SSD, presently installed, is a 480GB unit.
Also, Fast Boot is disabled in the BIOS and I tested it with Secure Boot disabled, as well as enabled (tests carried out with level 1 Asus tech support on the phone).
I sent a mail to asus.com/support (Technological consultancy) on 2022/09/18 describing the problem, but the status of my case is still "In Progress".
Best regards - chute

FYI - just got an answer from Asus support:
"Have you tried checking the disk management and see if there is a storage with unallocated space if there is right click it and choose the new simple volume and that should make the storage visible to the OS."
The mail sent to them was this thread's initial post, written in a slightly more formal way. That was the best they came up with in 48 hours 😞

Falcon_ASUS
chutetearer2013

Hello Falcon_ASUS,

Tried it with three different drives. The mechanical drives I tested are 250GB disks and the SATA SSD, presently installed, is a 480GB unit.

Also, Fast Boot is disabled in the BIOS and I tested it with Secure Boot disabled, as well as enabled (tests carried out with level 1 Asus tech support on the phone).

I sent a mail to asus.com/support (Technological consultancy) on 2022/09/18 describing the problem, but the status of my case is still "In Progress".

Best regards - chute

View post
@chutetearer2013
Please try to install the IRST driver.
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Commercial_NB/Image/Driver/Chipset/24391/VMD_CC_Intel_Z_V18.6.1.1...
[Notebook] Troubleshooting - How to fix the problem that cannot find drives when installing Windows ...Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused.