cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPay (partially) broken, unable to use it for public transport

darklajid
Star III
Hi.
One week in, converted to the Zenfone 9 from a Pixel device. Both are updated to the latest software, OS and apps. For GPay this means I'm on 159.1.1 (the latest at the time of this writing).
With the Pixel I can
Pay at supermarkets, restaurants, you name it. The default payment terminal? Works
Pay for public transport in Singapore, bus and train services: You check in and check out, done
With the Zenfone I can
Pay at supermarkets, restaurants, you name it. The default payment terminal? Works
BUT I cannot pay for public transport. The gantries for train services refuse the payment with "Invalid card" and the bus terminals say something along the lines of "Please select a valid card". This is ... annoying. Annoying enough for me to potentially give up on the phone as a daily driver, because I need this All. The. Time.
Now, by process of elimination, this isn't a problem of
My bank card. It works as a physical card (if I bring it along) and it's the same card registered on both the Pixel and my Zenfone 9
The local infrastructure in Singapore: It works for everyone else, works with the Pixel, works with the physical card, doesn't work with my Zenfone 9
The GPay version: The version is the same across my devices
This leads me to the conclusion that there's something broken in the NFC support on my device, whether it's hardware issues or an (ASUS related) software problem.
Any idea how this could be tracked down and (hopefully) fixed? Being unable to get around my city without bringing my wallet is a hugely annoying issue and enough to regret the Zenfone 9 purchase if it stays unfixed..
30 REPLIES 30

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
darklajid

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/226815#Comment_226815

If my card is/my cards are VISA? Yeah, all but one are.

View post
Update: apparently it's an issue with VISA cards so right now if you're a VISA holder trying to use Google Pay for transportation in Singapore, I'm sorry but you gotta wait. Unless you have a Mastercard or use GrabPay for now.
I suggest asking your bank if they have an ETA on a fix.

darklajid
Star III
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/226816#Comment_226816

Update: apparently it's an issue with VISA cards so right now if you're a VISA holder trying to use Google Pay for transportation in Singapore, I'm sorry but you gotta wait. Unless you have a Mastercard or use GrabPay for now.

I suggest asking your bank if they have an ETA on a fix.

View post
I hope I'm not sounding too exasperated..
.. but VISA cards work fine. My physical VISA card works, other phones using GPay with that card work, my Garmin watch works using my VISA card.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
darklajid

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/226818#Comment_226818

I hope I'm not sounding to exasperated..

.. but VISA cards work fine. My physical VISA card works, other phones using GPay with that card work, my Garmin watch works using my VISA card.

View post
Correct, they all work just fine UNLESS you try to use it for transportation. The terminals in transportation use a different protocol which google pay binded to a VISA card cant really properly translate hence giving that error.

Try a mastercard, ull find it works just fine with google pay and transportation.

darklajid
Star III
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/226819#Comment_226819

Correct, they all work just fine UNLESS you try to use it for transportation. The terminals in transportation use a different protocol which google pay binded to a VISA card cant really properly translate hence giving that error.

Try a mastercard, ull find it works just fine with google pay and transportation.

View post
Okay, please stop your armchair debugging from overseas. As I CLEARLY STATED both in the original post and just now, in the post you replied to: VISA cards work fine, physical or otherwise. And yes, of course I'm referring to public transportation. I use this card for a long time, for exactly this purpose. I still do it, but because of the bug I describe in this very post I now have to carry it along (or use the watch).
Your information is plain and utterly wrong. Trying to help without knowing about the situation is one thing, trying to correct someone about the public transport system in their country of residence is a bit off.

Mansi_ASUS
Hey @darklajid, I've sent you a PM, you can share the logs there. 🙂