cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPay (partially) broken, unable to use it for public transport

darklajid
Star III
Hi.
One week in, converted to the Zenfone 9 from a Pixel device. Both are updated to the latest software, OS and apps. For GPay this means I'm on 159.1.1 (the latest at the time of this writing).
With the Pixel I can
Pay at supermarkets, restaurants, you name it. The default payment terminal? Works
Pay for public transport in Singapore, bus and train services: You check in and check out, done
With the Zenfone I can
Pay at supermarkets, restaurants, you name it. The default payment terminal? Works
BUT I cannot pay for public transport. The gantries for train services refuse the payment with "Invalid card" and the bus terminals say something along the lines of "Please select a valid card". This is ... annoying. Annoying enough for me to potentially give up on the phone as a daily driver, because I need this All. The. Time.
Now, by process of elimination, this isn't a problem of
My bank card. It works as a physical card (if I bring it along) and it's the same card registered on both the Pixel and my Zenfone 9
The local infrastructure in Singapore: It works for everyone else, works with the Pixel, works with the physical card, doesn't work with my Zenfone 9
The GPay version: The version is the same across my devices
This leads me to the conclusion that there's something broken in the NFC support on my device, whether it's hardware issues or an (ASUS related) software problem.
Any idea how this could be tracked down and (hopefully) fixed? Being unable to get around my city without bringing my wallet is a hugely annoying issue and enough to regret the Zenfone 9 purchase if it stays unfixed..
30 REPLIES 30

darklajid
Star III
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/226798#Comment_226798

Interesting, here in denmark we have something called Mobilepay which does exacly what Gpay does in your country, hence we don't have GPay here and I was not aware of the difference.

I think youd be better off writing a support ticket at google, since its probably on their side of things. I don't think ASUS can give you much insight.

View post
No worries, it's a regional thing (I think India, Singapore and very few other places have it)..
As for Google? I highly doubt it's their issue, since the same software (both Wallet and GPay, identical versions) works on a Pixel 4a and a Pixel 6 Pro and even an old Huawei device I have. The change here is the Zenfone (hardware or software), the rest of the environment is identical (Google software, account, cards etc). So I hope for Asus to look into this.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
darklajid

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/226805#Comment_226805

No worries, it's a regional thing (I think India, Singapore and very few other places have it)..

As for Google? I highly doubt it's their issue, since the same software (both Wallet and GPay, identical versions) works on a Pixel 4a and a Pixel 6 Pro and even an old Huawei device I have. The change here is the Zenfone (hardware or software), the rest of the environment is identical (Google software, account, cards etc). So I hope for Asus to look into this.

View post
I highly doubt it's hardware as it's generic software that works on all phones. NFC modules are basicially the same, it's not like ASUS uses another type or anything, it's clearly a bug on your Zenfone that just happened to get triggered somehow. As @esp2002 has mentioned, on his zenfone 8 it didnt work, but on his Zenfone 9 it works just fine, if it was an ASUS issue due to firmware or hardware all zenfone 9 wouldnt work, but they obviously do otherwise the forum would be flooded with people complaining. Hence I suggested to ask google as they know their software best and how to get this bug fixed. The classic solution would be to uninstall the app and try again to setup the card.

From a little google search I can conclude this is not an ASUS issue as this is way more widespread than you think, reports from all kinds of devices not working.

This seems to have helped some:
Go to Settings > Connected Devices > Connection Preferences > NFC > Require Device unlock for NFC (tick)
Go to Settings > Connected Devices > Connection Preferences > NFC > Contactless Payments > Payment default (Google Pay), Use default (Always)
Others never got it to work and switched to SimplyGo instead.

darklajid
Star III
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/226808#Comment_226808

I highly doubt it's hardware as it's generic software that works on all phones. NFC modules are basicially the same, it's not like ASUS uses another type or anything, it's clearly a bug on your Zenfone that just happened to get triggered somehow. As @esp2002 has mentioned, on his zenfone 8 it didnt work, but on his Zenfone 9 it works just fine, if it was an ASUS issue due to firmware or hardware all zenfone 9 wouldnt work, but they obviously do otherwise the forum would be flooded with people complaining. Hence I suggested to ask google as they know their software best and how to get this bug fixed. The classic solution would be to uninstall the app and try again to setup the card.

From a little google search I can conclude this is not an ASUS issue as this is way more widespread than you think, reports from all kinds of devices not working.

This seems to have helped some:

1. Go to Settings > Connected Devices > Connection Preferences > NFC > Require Device unlock for NFC (tick)
  2. Go to Settings > Connected Devices > Connection Preferences > NFC > Contactless Payments > Payment default (Google Pay), Use default (Always)

Others never got it to work and switched to SimplyGo instead.

View post
I appreciate your comments, but .. I've been there, done that, no effect. I searched online before I created this thread and tried solving it myself first.
Let me preface the rest with "I know you mean well and my words aren't meant to be harsh" as a disclaimer (text as a medium can be difficult to interpret of course), but I think you don't know what SimplyGo is (just like GPay previously and like I never heard of the Danish payment app before). It cannot replace GPay/Wallet, that's not what it's for. It's installed on my phone, but that's not its use case.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
darklajid

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/226810#Comment_226810

I appreciate your comments, but .. I've been there, done that, no effect. I searched online before I created this thread and tried solving it myself first.

Let me preface the rest with "I know you mean well and my words aren't meant to be harsh" as a disclaimer (text as a medium can be difficult to interpret of course), but I think you don't know what SimplyGo is (just like GPay previously and like I never heard of the Danish payment app before). It cannot replace GPay/Wallet, that's not what it's for. It's installed on my phone, but that's not its use case.

View post
Do you happen to have a VISA?

darklajid
Star III
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/226813#Comment_226813

Do you happen to have a VISA?

View post
If my card is/my cards are VISA? Yeah, all but one are.