cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cell Standby battery drain

Salvatore
Star III
Hi,
i'm experiencing seriuos issue about battery, it's being constantly drained by cell standby with abnormal values. It's actually draining more than the display, that's unacceptable.
Can you please provide a fix/solution ?
Zenfone 8 - hardware and software details attached.
198183282-10226408916159167-3204847718508595170-n.jpg
screenshot-20210613-111801686.jpg
screenshot-20210613-111808710.jpg

123 REPLIES 123

CH_ASUS
Community Legend II
Salvatore

Latest updates.

I confirm that "scheduled power saving" was the cause of night-time cell standby battery drops. After disabling it the average drain during night was basically the same as the day-time. It is even more frustrating considering that feature was supposed to save battery, not the opposite. But meh, at least i've found the bug :

image.png

Still remains the issue about 4G network which keeps draining in standby almost double than 2G/3G. Didn't try 5G because my provider doesn't support it but i'm afraid it would be supreme disaster considering what's actually happening with 4G.

@ Asus Folks: any chances to have the 4G issue fixed by the next minor update ?

View post
Hi
Can you observe what the differences are when you use "scheduled power saving" vs. not - over a similar , fresh cycle?
Could you help explain a bit more on how you observed this feature was causing the big drain for you?

As for the 4G , it is really hard to narrow down if anything is wrong or not relating to the phone, or to network, or to a combination of events - a bug log would be the best way to start digging it. We'll have a moderator PM you with further steps if you would like to help us debug this scenario.

@Anders_ASUS @Gustav_ASUS

cicagorio
Rising Star II
I just compared my zenfone 8 mobile network standby drain (2g/3g/4g) with my 2 years old pixel 3.
Zenfone has 12.3% drain and pixel has 2%. Both are on the same location so they have the same cell signal quality. I would love to see some improvements here if possible.

CH_ASUS
Community Legend II
Elmir

I just compared my zenfone 8 mobile network standby drain (2g/3g/4g) with my 2 years old pixel 3.

Zenfone has 12.3% drain and pixel has 2%. Both are on the same location so they have the same cell signal quality. I would love to see some improvements here if possible.

View post
Some more context would be good. Thank you!

cicagorio
Rising Star II
CH_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/175660#Comment_175660

Some more context would be good. Thank you!

View post
So both phones connected to the same network, with 2g/3g/4g enabled, for most of the time both were connected to the same WiFi. Both in the same location the whole day (carried them together). 5g was disabled on zenfone 8. Only 1 sim card inserted, same as in pixel 3.
At the end of the day on my Pixel 3 there was 2% drain in battery stats under "mobile network standby" and on my zenfone 8 there was 12.3% drain for "mobile network standby". Location Germany - mobile network Vodafone.

I would be glad to provide more info, or do some tests if you can tell me what information you are interested in and what would help you?

CH_ASUS
Community Legend II
Elmir

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/175664#Comment_175664

So both phones connected to the same network, with 2g/3g/4g enabled, for most of the time both were connected to the same WiFi. Both in the same location the whole day (carried them together). 5g was disabled on zenfone 8. Only 1 sim card inserted, same as in pixel 3.

At the end of the day on my Pixel 3 there was 2% drain in battery stats under "mobile network standby" and on my zenfone 8 there was 12.3% drain for "mobile network standby". Location Germany - mobile network Vodafone.

I would be glad to provide more info, or do some tests if you can tell me what information you are interested in and what would help you?

View post
Thanks!

Generally, we try to isolate real apples to apples conditions to try and figure out if there is an issue in so far related to the "code" or if there is an issue related to network, or an issue related something else.

For example, is it mainly a gap on representation ? I,e, what gets shown as "mobile network standby" , and what does not. What attributes to it, and if there is a difference between ASUS and Google Pixel.
What was the overall usage like. Was it on standby a lot - does the Pixel 3 drop mobile connection when it is on Wifi (ZF8 has default that it keeps the mobile connection for faster switching, it can be turned off in Developer Options).

To debug further, a good starting point would be if you charged both devices fully, and then end of the day, post the 'Battery stats' page on both phones - if you can, and we can try to deduce more information from there.

Thank you!