cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fingerprint reader thread [Mod adjusted thread title]

n3b
Star II
Hello,
Overall very happy with my ZenFone 8, but I'm running into an issue where the fingerprint reader has basically not worked properly since coming out of the box, usually telling me the sensor is "dirty" and needs to be cleaned.
I managed to get it to remember 2 thumb prints after lots and lots of effort,
It will recognize either print maybe 1 out of 10 times on the lock screen,
Deleting/re-adding the prints did not help much.
I have other phones with standard fingerprint sensors (Samsung) that work perfectly fine, so my skin is probably not the culprit here.
Note: phone is running latest software (.44) and screen is clean, no protector.
Anyone else experience a similar issue and is there a fix? I'd rather not return the phone 😞
88 REPLIES 88

rush09
Star III
Dear representatives of the ASUS support service.
Please inform the technical department that it is necessary to take into account the information set out below when working on improving the fingerprint. My experience. If the phone was unlocked the first time, then you can continue 10 or more times in a row and everything is without problems. But if it didn't work out the first time, then you can continue 3-5 times or even only a graphic key. And the chance that it will not be unlocked the first time is 50-70%. As a user, it is important for me that the algorithms of the first operation are improved. I do not know how it works, but I think it can be improved if the ones following the first unlock usually work 100%. And another important point - it is necessary to increase the number of failed attempts to 10. After all, if a stranger is nearby, then you will have to show him the key, and changing it every time is not a great pleasure. Thanks! If you write that you have accepted the information, it will be nice that it has not been lost on the forum.

n3b
Star II
rush09

Dear representatives of the ASUS support service.

Please inform the technical department that it is necessary to take into account the information set out below when working on improving the fingerprint. My experience. If the phone was unlocked the first time, then you can continue 10 or more times in a row and everything is without problems. But if it didn't work out the first time, then you can continue 3-5 times or even only a graphic key. And the chance that it will not be unlocked the first time is 50-70%. As a user, it is important for me that the algorithms of the first operation are improved. I do not know how it works, but I think it can be improved if the ones following the first unlock usually work 100%. And another important point - it is necessary to increase the number of failed attempts to 10. After all, if a stranger is nearby, then you will have to show him the key, and changing it every time is not a great pleasure. Thanks! If you write that you have accepted the information, it will be nice that it has not been lost on the forum.

View post
Isn't this just confirmation bias?
Works on first try: you pressed the right place, your skin isn't dry/wet, screen isn't dirty. Subsequent attempts work.
Doesn't work on first try: you pressed askew or away from the sensor, your skin is dry/wet/dirty, screen is dirty, etc. Subsequent attempts don't work.
Considering the sensor seems very sensitive to environmental variations (ambient light, skin moisture, etc) then it would make sense that multiple attempts in the same conditions would yield the same result.
On top of this, I'm pretty sure there is a learning behavior to some extent, wherein successful attempts will be added to the "map" to get a fuller picture of your print, but @CH_ASUS can confirm/deny that.

rush09
Star III
N3b, apparently you didn't understand me. I have the conditions suitable for unlocking - a clean surface of the scanner, the correct location of the finger, not a dry or wet finger. (Although it works worse immediately after washing and drying your hands, this is for the information of the support service, it shouldn't be like this, but I didn't take these cases into account). The whole point is that it doesn't matter if the screen was unlocked from the second or fifth time, then if you unlock many times in a row there are no problems, the conditions are the same as at the beginning, and unlocking is without problems. Do you understand the essence? The problem is in the primary unblocking, it is necessary to improve the algorithms here. Well, as a temporary measure, increase the reading errors up to 10 times, as I mentioned above. Your comment does not bring any benefit.

rush09
Star III
More precisely, I will formulate: even if the unlock was completed only on the fifth attempt,then all the others if you unlock in a row without problem

n3b
Star II
rush09

N3b, apparently you didn't understand me. I have the conditions suitable for unlocking - a clean surface of the scanner, the correct location of the finger, not a dry or wet finger. (Although it works worse immediately after washing and drying your hands, this is for the information of the support service, it shouldn't be like this, but I didn't take these cases into account). The whole point is that it doesn't matter if the screen was unlocked from the second or fifth time, then if you unlock many times in a row there are no problems, the conditions are the same as at the beginning, and unlocking is without problems. Do you understand the essence? The problem is in the primary unblocking, it is necessary to improve the algorithms here. Well, as a temporary measure, increase the reading errors up to 10 times, as I mentioned above. Your comment does not bring any benefit.

View post
I'd give up the attitude if I had a problem that needed solving. Doesn't bring any benefit 😘