cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fingerprint reader thread [Mod adjusted thread title]

n3b
Star II
Hello,
Overall very happy with my ZenFone 8, but I'm running into an issue where the fingerprint reader has basically not worked properly since coming out of the box, usually telling me the sensor is "dirty" and needs to be cleaned.
I managed to get it to remember 2 thumb prints after lots and lots of effort,
It will recognize either print maybe 1 out of 10 times on the lock screen,
Deleting/re-adding the prints did not help much.
I have other phones with standard fingerprint sensors (Samsung) that work perfectly fine, so my skin is probably not the culprit here.
Note: phone is running latest software (.44) and screen is clean, no protector.
Anyone else experience a similar issue and is there a fix? I'd rather not return the phone 😞
88 REPLIES 88

Grzemar
Rising Star I
Hi, after all updates including latest .67 reader much better recognizes fingerprints. Almost 10/10 times for me now is really good, before it was 5/10. Good job Asus 😉 But, there is one more point - when we talk about speed, it still not very fast from placing finger on, to unlocking screen. It looks like phone is wondering if that print is really legit by 1-2 seconds. I tried phones from friends (xiomi, oppo) and there it works difinitely faster. Please take a look at it. SD 888 is fast enough to improve this.

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
grzegorz.marucha

Hi, after all updates including latest .67 reader much better recognizes fingerprints. Almost 10/10 times for me now is really good, before it was 5/10. Good job Asus 😉 But, there is one more point - when we talk about speed, it still not very fast from placing finger on, to unlocking screen. It looks like phone is wondering if that print is really legit by 1-2 seconds. I tried phones from friends (xiomi, oppo) and there it works difinitely faster. Please take a look at it. SD 888 is fast enough to improve this.

View post
It has nothing to do with the SoC. It's a combination of which fingerprint reader we use and the software. The more we push the software, the less secure it will be. 1s is fully acceptable. Try experimenting with enrolling your finger again with just one or multiple reads and hopefully, you can make it a little faster

daniel91m
Rising Star II
I am frustrated FR and turned on facial recognition. It is even more dangerous. The update improved the operation of the reader but with the protective glass it is still bad. If does not read the first time (first time ja longer than next) , it is worse when he tries again. It's a lottery. It looks like it's freezing.

I tried to scan my finger in different ways.

robybaggio11
Star III
can you add the fingerprint reader position icon on the always on panel? every time I don't know exactly where to put my finger.

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
robybaggio11

can you add the fingerprint reader position icon on the always on panel? every time I don't know exactly where to put my finger.

View post
I believe you've forgotten to enable the "pick up phone to show indicator" and "tap screen to show indicator" options in your fingerprint settings