Star I
System: ROG STRIX (Gaming Laptop)
Battery or AC: AC
Model: GL502VS
Frequency of occurrence: 1-2 events per month
Reset OS: Windows 10 2004
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description:In September 2020, I replaced the original DRAM -- Samsung 16 GB PC4 2133P -- with Crucial 32 GB (2 X 16 GB) DDR4 2666. At the same time, I replaced the M.2 SSD to increase capacity from 256 GB to 1024 GB. Since then, I have experienced 10 BSOD crashes including 2 per month for the past 3 months. The crashes typically occur many hours (6-36 hours) after booting and under moderately heavy use (50 browser windows, VS Code session developing a Flutter application and running the Android simulator).
I would like to run the memory at the original 2133 rate to see if this eliminates the crashes. However, the simple BIOS seems to lack the ability to control the memory frequency. Does the GL502VS support migration of the BIOS to UEFI? If not, how can I set the memory frequency?
10 REPLIES 10

RAJU_MSC_MATHEM
Zen Master I
dv30fps

The processor is Intel Core i7=6700HQ CPU @ 2.60 GHz.

CPU-Z app reports DRAM freq. is 1330 MHz, which is supported by the new installed memory: Crucial 32 GB (2 X 16 GB) DDR4 2666, but faster than the original rate of the Samsung 16 GB PC4 2133P.

View post
according to intel official website of your processor technical specifications, maximum supported RAM module frequency is DDR4 2133 only, not 2666.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/88967/intel-core-i7-6700hq-processor-6m-cache-u...

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hello dv30fps,
Both the compatibility of the RAM and SDD you install could be an issue since both of them exceed the spec that we have tested on this model.
Thank you.

dv30fps
Star I
Hi RAJU.MSC.MATHEMATICS,
Thank you for posting the maximum RAM frequency for my processor. My laptop was down most of yesterday because I installed the original Samsung 2133 DIMM in the bottom slot and reseated the Crucial 2666 DIMM in the top slot. That configuration took 8 hours to run memtest86, and passed 4 runs with no errors.
When the system had two Crucial 2666 DIMMs, the system set the RAM frequency to 1330 MHz. With the new configuration of Samsung 2133 and Crucial 2666, the system set the RAM frequency to 1063 MHz. The system could have been easily configured to limit the RAM frequency to the maximum allowed by the CPU instead of setting it to the rating of the memory.
How I got here: I wanted to upgrade the memory capacity from 16 GB to 32 GB. I was thinking that I needed to replace the installed memory with new DIMMs instead of just adding one 16 GB DIMM to the empty slot. The top site for memory upgrades for GL502VS assured me that the Crucial 2666 DIMMs were compatible with my system. That site could not have know that my system would run that memory at a frequency higher than supported by the processor.

RAJU_MSC_MATHEM
Zen Master I
dv30fps

Hi RAJU.MSC.MATHEMATICS,

Thank you for posting the maximum RAM frequency for my processor. My laptop was down most of yesterday because I installed the original Samsung 2133 DIMM in the bottom slot and reseated the Crucial 2666 DIMM in the top slot. That configuration took 8 hours to run memtest86, and passed 4 runs with no errors.

When the system had two Crucial 2666 DIMMs, the system set the RAM frequency to 1330 MHz. With the new configuration of Samsung 2133 and Crucial 2666, the system set the RAM frequency to 1063 MHz. The system could have been easily configured to limit the RAM frequency to the maximum allowed by the CPU instead of setting it to the rating of the memory.

How I got here: I wanted to upgrade the memory capacity from 16 GB to 32 GB. I was thinking that I needed to replace the installed memory with new DIMMs instead of just adding one 16 GB DIMM to the empty slot. The top site for memory upgrades for GL502VS assured me that the Crucial 2666 DIMMs were compatible with my system. That site could not have know that my system would run that memory at a frequency higher than supported by the processor.

View post
Normally every processor manufactured by Intel inc has limited RAM frequency to dedicated value as per their chipset and firmware.

dv30fps
Star I
The ASUS motherboard can support a small number of Intel processors and chipsets. ASUS could limit the RAM frequencies to limits imposed by those chips instead of the higher ratings of the memory. Doing so would avoid the problem that I encountered.