This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Before you think of upgrading to Rog5

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
Honestly there are so many weird topics here surrounding the Rog5 being superior and people acting like it's some next evolution.
Guys let me clear some things up for you:
The screen is the same.
the speaker are basicially the same,.
the batterilife is worse on the Rog5 due to higher TDP from the SoC.
The LED on the back, while on paper nice, is something you won't even look at.
No storage upgrade, still capped at 512GB.
Phone will throttle if used over time without aero cooler.
Camera the same.
Audio quality hasn't been improved noticably at all on headphones, for some reason people first now got the memo that the Rog Phones in general have a high quality built in dac.

Overall if you already have a Rog3, there is literally no compelling reason for you to purchase the Rog5, if you have an older Rog phone 1 then you can easily consider it, but upgrading from Rog3 is just silly, even Rog2 I'd still call it a stretch to call it an "upgrade". So please don't be swayed by random reviewers acting like it's some next evolutionary thing.
48 REPLIES 48

TX11559
Rising Star I
I agree, I think those who got rog 1/2 or people who doesn't have the rog at all should consider it.

I myself got the rog 3 not long ago, with the konai 3 + aero fan...no point to make all this changes.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
Averan

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/45579/before-you-think-of-upgrading-to-rog5

It's actually an samsung screen this time and they acknowledged black crush and said they have specific calibrations for that,300hz touch sampling rate

img-20210310-225145-316.jpg

img-20210310-225514-639.jpg

img-20210310-225528-642.jpg

img-20210310-225535-897.jpg

img-20210310-225545-460.jpg

img-20210310-225532-765.jpg

img-20210310-225551-927.jpg

img-20210310-225557-284.jpg

img-20210310-225752-351.jpg

I think the speaker is better it has newer amplifiers and is like 20% bigger I think

screenshot-20210310-194154968-281-29.jpg

And has an high end ESS dac

Plus 65 W charging

That secondary display is on the pro/ultimate models and they're pretty costly so won't be considering em here

The air triggers technology has improved too (with two additional triggers on pro/ultimate)

There are a lot of subtle changes to be honest including haptics

I don't how much it's better compared to a rog 3 but it's true that a one gen upgrade isn't that worth it maybe if you want the jack compulsorily that's another thing

But there are a lot of subtle changes in the phone to be honest

Software wise there are many nifty improvements too including live wallpapers

View post
- Rog 3 display is also a samsung AMOLED display
- Speaker seem the same, over time the speaker of the Rog3 have gotten better as well. As for your 20% bigger amp statement, that doesn't even make any sense.
- ESS DAC being pretty much the same quality as the DAC used before.
- 65W charging shouldnt be used as it ruins the battery, hence slow charging is a thing and I would recommend using slow charge for everyone
- Air triggers arent being used by the majority of people, they are just to unreliable, there are 3rd party claw triggers that are in every way superior
- haptics don't matter as pretty much everyone is going to have a cover on their phone
- Nobody cares about software as this is easily achievable with 3rd party apps.

Seriously, instead of eating the marketing up, think a little and ask yourself if they aren't just sweettalking a lot.

Aryan202
Community Legend I
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/156264#Comment_156264

- Speaker seem the same, over time the speaker of the Rog3 have gotten better as well. As for your 20% bigger amp statement, that doesn't even make any sense.

- 65W charging shouldnt be used as it ruins the battery, hence slow charging is a thing and I would recommend using slow charge for everyone

- Air triggers arent being used by the majority of people, they are just to unreliable, there are 3rd party claw triggers that are in every way superior

- haptics don't matter as pretty much everyone is going to have a cover on their phone

Seriously, instead of eating the marketing up, think a little and ask yourself if they aren't just sweettalking a lot.

View post
~ Hey starting off I highly doubt that rog 3 has an samsung display if it did wouldn't Asus and other tech sites list it in their specsheet,the vendor of the display wasn't mentioned anywhere not even in the launch event. If it was really an samsung panel Asus would've advertised the name more like they did with Rog 5 yesterday and Zenfone 7 pro last year (that has an 90hz samsung displays)
Rog 5 has DC dimming too (same with Zenfone 7) which I believe is only found in samsung phones?
~ The speaker seems to have new amplifiers and about the loudness thing someone mentioned it an YouTube video I believe it was MeWhosTheBoss's review
~ I dunno but afaik phones traditionally have the integrated Snapdragon dacs ESS is actually an high end dac manufacturer (LG had the same dacs) and the fact that none of the other OEMs have an headphone jack let alone an high end one I think this is a positive then there's further optimisation for dac by dirac for different use cases imo
Plus doesn't rog 3 and mostly every 2020 phone that didn't have an headphone jack not support some headphones with the in box adaptor and you actually need to buy one with and dedicated dac
I think some audiophiles would prefer this whole audio thing
screenshot-20210310-194300699-281-29.jpg
Audiowizard is pretty much the same though
~ Nah it's actually 2 3000 mah batteries and considering by past phones with 65W battery and 4.5k mah battery I don't think there's any considerable degradation
65 W with 6k mah is a sweet combination (I mean some manufacturers are supposedly adding support beyond that like 120W etc) but iirc 30W adaptor is supported too so one can use that if you worry that much
Apart from that for overnight charging and all you have tons of battery care features like rog 3 scheduled charging,slow charging, battery limit so Asus has you covered here
~ Um I'd say that for those who use them it does matter and air triggers is like an gaming add on if you don't use it then okay if use it then great it just got better 🙂
~ Haptic is an essential thing for many though once you experience a good haptics phone it's hard to adjust to an inferior one,haptics while gaming, scrolling through the ui just adds up to the overall experience imo.Plus rog 5 did add certain optimised haptics to certain in game functions
~ Um not really the stuff armory crate and Asus in house software can do hardly any other can do
If you're rooted then things chnages but still the things you get on Asus stock (unrooted) is pretty good you don't have to mess yourself.But I believe many software features should make its way to the rog 3 soon maybe with its android 11 update

Saifuddin
Zen Master III
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/156264#Comment_156264

View post
Averan

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/156287#Comment_156287

~ Hey starting off I highly doubt that rog 3 has an samsung display if it did wouldn't Asus and other tech sites list it in their specsheet,the vendor of the display wasn't mentioned anywhere not even in the launch event. If it was really an samsung panel Asus would've advertised the name more like they did with Rog 5 yesterday and Zenfone 7 pro last year (that has an 90hz samsung panel)

Rog 5 has DC dimming too (same with Zenfone 7) which I believe is only found in samsung phones?

~ The speaker seems to have new amplifiers and about the loudness thing someone mentioned it an YouTube video I believe it was MeWhosTheBoss's review

~ I dunno but afaik phones traditionally have the integrated Snapdragon dacs ESS is actually an high end dac manufacturer (LG had the same dacs) and the fact that none of the other OEMs have an headphone jack let alone an high end one I think this is a positive then there's further optimisation for dac by dirac for different use cases imo

Plus doesn't rog 3 and mostly every 2020 phone that didn't have an headphone jack not support some headphones with the in box adaptor and you actually need to buy one with and dedicated dac

I think some audiophiles would prefer this whole audio thing

screenshot-20210310-194300699-281-29.jpg

Audiowizard is pretty much the same though

~ Nah it's actually 2 3000 mah batteries and considering by past phones with 65W battery and 4.5k mah battery I don't think there's any considerable degradation

65 W with 6k mah is a sweet combination (I mean some manufacturers are supposedly adding support beyond that like 120W etc) but iirc 30W adaptor is supported too so one can use that if you worry that much

Apart from that for overnight charging and all you have tons of battery care features like rog 3 scheduled charging,slow charging, battery limit so Asus has you covered here

~ Um I'd say that for those who use them it does matter and air triggers is like an gaming add on if you don't use it then okay if use it then great it just got better 🙂

~ Haptic is an essential thing for many though once you experience a good haptics phone it's hard to adjust to an inferior one,haptics while gaming, scrolling through the ui just adds up to the overall experience imo.Plus rog 5 did add certain optimised haptics to certain in game functions

~ Um not really the stuff armory crate and Asus in house software can do hardly any other can do

If you're rooted then things chnages but still the things you get on Asus stock (unrooted) is pretty good you don't have to mess yourself.But I believe many software features should make its way to the rog 3 soon maybe with its android 11 update

View post
I also think @Averan is right about screen , rog 3 doesn't have samsung screen as they didn't advertised it likr zenfone 7 and rog 5
And lets agree on one thing, if you want good quality display you always go to Samsung 😂

jin_akira
Rising Star I
From an internal hardware perspective the improvement is not as exciting as the improvement from the ROG2 to the ROG3.;

- UFS 3.0 to UFS 3.1 (UFS 3.1 capped at 512gb)
- 12gb RAM to 16gb RAM
- Snapdragon 855+ to 865+ (was expecting the ROG 5 to use a Snapdragon 888+ variant)
- additional macro lens

Though not all internal hardware are fully utilised by the end user (like the 16gb RAM) but was kinda expecting a bit more 'wow' hardware wise. Visually it does look good with the new RGB and additional panel strip but i'm somewhat more appreciative of the subdued gamer look on the ROG 3. It just does not scream as much attention which blends well with my other devices (am not being biased, just a preference). Also strange that they changed the side port, rendering most of the previous gen accessories useless. Even the Kunai 3 needs a new bumper