System: ZenBook Pro Duo
Battery or AC: Either
Model: UX581GV
Frequency of occurrence: Always
Reset OS: Yes
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description:
After sending my laptop in for RMA service (which took a month) because the battery died after six months, the keyboard backlight does not work. I have tried EVERYTHING. I'm on the latest BIOS, I've reset BIOS defaults, reset Windows, tried different version of System Control Interface V2 and ScreenPad drivers. I took the case apart to confirm that the keyboard backlight ribbon cable is connected to the motherboard (it was). All other hotkeys work, and the F7 key works in a test program. There is no on-screen popup when I press (Fn+)F7 to adjust the backlight (I'm pretty sure there used to be). It seems like this has to be a software issue, but I've tried ALL possible drivers, and this definitely worked before the RMA. Can anyone confirm whether I should see an on-screen popup when trying to adjust the keyboard backlight? I do not want to send this in for repair again and be without the laptop for another month.
18 REPLIES 18

Liviu
Rising Star II
realstephenbaird

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/150660#Comment_150660

Thank you. Is that from a ZenBook Pro Duo (UX581GV)?

View post
Yes. The version with I9 and 32GB RAM, but the software should be the same. I don't see any differentiation on Asus drivers page.

Liviu
Rising Star II
Do a windows refresh (from Windows settings, don't format the current Windows, otherwise, you'll lose some of Asus software) and see if that fixes. And also, install all the drivers from Asus page, even if Windows update installed some. For some reason, there are some files that the ones from Asus has than the one from Windows. This is something that I've observed, nothing official.

realstephenbair
Star III
Liviu

Do a windows refresh (from Windows settings, don't format the current Windows, otherwise, you'll lose some of Asus software) and see if that fixes. And also, install all the drivers from Asus page, even if Windows update installed some. For some reason, there are some files that the ones from Asus has than the one from Windows. This is something that I've observed, nothing official.

View post
Thank you. I will try that and report back. I also have the i9 and 32 GB RAM.

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hello Stephen,
If the backlight cable is not working, then it is not sending the signal to show the pop up.
Maybe the F7 key is broken.
Thank you.

realstephenbair
Star III
Blake_ASUS

Hello Stephen,

If the backlight cable is not working, then it is not sending the signal to show the pop up.

Maybe the F7 key is broken.

Thank you.

View post
The F7 key is working. I've tested it. It seems like the software would be responding to the F7 key press to show the popup, not to the keyboard backlight signal cable?