This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is the .122 firmware?

Craven
Rising Star II
Should i just stick to .99 or update to .122? Are there any significant improvements about the display, performance, battery, etc.?
18 REPLIES 18

Skrue
Star III
One bug i found after the update is the notifications for sms messages. Previously I had these bugs on older firmware but a factory data reset would solve this, however after the update there is no sound or pop up notifications even after formatting the device 3 times. Anyone has this issue? Any fix for this would be very much appreciated. Thanks

jin_akira
Rising Star I
Would it be helpful if we could highlight the problems / improvements we are facing in the new firmware by first stating our phone version; Tencent and non-Tencent? Understand that most Tencent units is flashed to the Global ROM, so perhaps we can trace the problem through the ROM version? For example mine is the non-Tencent unit, and the only issue i am facing is the Black Crush display. My Widevine is L1 and my battery discharge seems to be normal. Other than the Black Crush issue, I don't have any problems with unit which is currently on .99

Am holding off the update until more non-Tencent users can verify that the Black Crush problem has improved and that the Widevine level is still L1

hank_email_is
Rising Star II
I have the global version, non tencent.
I can see now there is a subtle overlay still over youtube, it seems to tuned the gray scale better, especially better on dark area. No longer it is just all black, and not too much black crush too on my screen. Although I think my screen may be better since I don't notice it too much originally.
I tested using this hdr video
screenshot-20201224-090012876.jpg

around 1:30 when it says,
What you thought was black...isn't. This is pure black.
I can now see some grayish turn to pure black now! Best if I turn brightness around 60%
Anyway I this version of grey tunning, little enhancement but not too much, good job asus!!

Saifuddin
Zen Master III
hank_email_is

I have the global version, non tencent.

I can see now there is a subtle overlay still over youtube, it seems to tuned the gray scale better, especially better on dark area. No longer it is just all black, and not too much black crush too on my screen. Although I think my screen may be better since I don't notice it too much originally.

I tested using this hdr video

screenshot-20201224-090012876.jpg

around 1:30 when it says,

What you thought was black...isn't. This is pure black.

I can now see some grayish turn to pure black now! Best if I turn brightness around 60%

Anyway I this version of grey tunning, little enhancement but not too much, good job asus!!

View post
I am showing this video to everybody from the first day
There are still grey in full brightness instead of black and no tradition from grey to black in youtube buy when you see the same video on chrome then video shows perfect transition from grey to black becoz chrome dont support hdr
There is some issues with sdr to hdr in this device thats why Netflix hdr content sucks and YouTube's as well but non hdr are average (not the best though)

Aman89053
Rising Star II
gugul

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/42284/how-is-the-122-firmware

Well to answer your question,

Performance:- Nothing changed. It's intact, blazingly fast, no stuttering. All good here.

Display:- yes, they have withdrawn the overlay and the blacks have returned at high brightness. But somehow in youtube the overlay is still there I think. When I played some HDR videos it's turning gray on YouTube. Don't know about OTT platforms. But, the improvement is noticeable. You'll see the crushing at some places, but at most of the dark areas it'll soften the blacks which is very eye soothing. So, overall a thumbs up for that.

Battery:- I never faced any problem here. I used to get around 6hrs of SOT with 90hz always on and battery charged up to 80%(I don't charge my phone to 100% very often) and brightness around 35-40% most of the time. Even after the update I didn't face any issues here, but I can tell that after a few more cycles.

Slow charging bug:- I never faced this issue. Slow charging has been working flawlessly in my device from the beginning. I was scrolling through the forum and many users have reported that this update has fixed the slow-charge issue.

Widevine Issue:- I'm fine here also, but many have reported that they were downgraded automatically after updating to this latest version. So, it's good to say that this issue has not been fixed.

Sound:- no major change. Loud and clear.

Call quality:- Definitely improved. I used to get complaints from the recipients that I was not Audible,but since last update, that's not the case. It's all good. (Or you can switch to Google dialler. I'm using it and it's pretty awesome.)

Addition:- December security patch, An option to enroll in a11 beta (right now it's not working,but it will once they activate their servers.)

So, there you go; details regarding the new update. If you need to know anything else, just let me know and I'll try to answer it.

View post
Display is good ....what ????
Have u seen the level of black crush after the update ...??
I have no words for you ... literally..
I am fed up with this device and asus as well...
watch the batman trailer at 30% brightness...😔😔😔