System: UM425IA firmware 304, 305, 306
Battery or AC: Either
Model: UM425IA-NH74
Frequency of occurrence: When waking from sleep
Reset OS: All Windows, ASUS, and AMD drivers up to date for Windows 10
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description:
After putting laptop to sleep using power button, closing lid, or after powWindows er setting timeout, it sometimes will not wake normally. This seems to happen most when the sleep time is more than a few minutes.
Behavior when trying to wake up the laptop is as follows and it does not matter how the laptop was put into sleep ( closing lid, power button, or timeout) or how the attempt to wake was made (opening lid, power button, keyboard, or trackpad):
Screen will be blue background with mouse cursor showing. Trackpad will not move mouse cursor.
Screen will be black with Windows "Hello" eye only on the screen. Sometimes a message will appear saying to dismiss lock screen, but neither keyboard nor track pad will work.
Screen will be black and nothing happens. Power switch light is slowly pulsing.
When any of these three behaviors happen, the laptop will either:
Do nothing until a hard power off is performed and the computer is restarted OR
Will eventually reboot on it's own (this a full reboot, not a wake up). Upon reboot, the track pad is sometimes not responsive OR
Will go to a blue screen with a Windows "Something Happened" message and the laptop will reboot then. This is different from number 2 above in that it has the Windows message.
After oogling and experimenting, it seems like this issue is related to one of the ASUS/AMD services that run at startup. When I disable these (see ng up from sleep works normally. Leaving these services disabled, though, is not an option as without them things like the backlit keyboard and f,utrackpad, nction keys don't work properly.
@Blake_ASUS : Can you check on this?
@vanbako : Have you seen this behavior on your UM425IA?
17 REPLIES 17

Fletchasus
Star III
Just a quick update for others with this issue. I have been using Hibernate as @Blake_ASUS suggested while waiting for a fix for Sleep. While I'd like for Sleep to work properly, Hibernate is an OK substitute. This laptop is so fast that from tapping the power button while in Hibernate to Windows being completely ready takes less than 7 seconds with Windows Hello. So, while not as instantaneous as proper Sleep wakeup, it's still pretty fast.
With that said, if @Blake_Asus has an update or other ideas for Sleep, please let us know.

robby_agustinus
Star II
I created antoher thread initially to discuss about Bitlocker recovery issue that keeps bugging the laptop where it would start on its own after being shut down and goes into bitlocker blue screen.
After I manage to reset the laptop and avoid the bitlocker issue (as long as I don't turn off fast startup options) then the wake from sleep starting to become a problem although mine is only blank (black screen) with Windows Hello infrared blinking but the screen never starts.
I will try the hibernate option and see how it will respond. I haven't really time my machine but from memory, the wake up process was okay when I do it quick enough from the time it goes to sleep. So I assume the problem is quite similar where the laptop having hard time to wake up after certain minutes of sleeping.

robby_agustinus
Star II
There were just several updates from Windows when I check the update on my machine last week.
Seems like after those updates, the wake from sleep is quite responsive. Although there were 2 occasions in the last week where the wake function running quick but once I re-enter the laptop, all browsers and files that I opened before already closed.

areskz
Star II
robby.agustinus

There were just several updates from Windows when I check the update on my machine last week.

Seems like after those updates, the wake from sleep is quite responsive. Although there were 2 occasions in the last week where the wake function running quick but once I re-enter the laptop, all browsers and files that I opened before already closed.

View post
what device are you using? Is it also UM425IA?
I here have exactly same issues. I can also confirm that when sleep time is short, a successfull 'awakening' is more likely to happen. In case it slept for an hour or so, there is no chance you can have a smooth wake up.
I am going to try and stick with hibernation as the topic starter did. Don't quite like the lack of option to wake the device with lid open though.

Kushan
Star I
same issue happens on my new laptop UX 425 JA