This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen blackout caused by high GPU usage (Genshin Impact)

eugeneus_genius
Star II
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ROG 2
Firmware Version: WW_16.0631.1910.64_0
Rooted or not: no
Frequency of Occurrence: VERY FREQUENT
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Genshin Impact. v1.0.0_1112729_1135452 may have impact on other GPU intensive game
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
Playing Genshin Impact the other day with the highest settings with 60fps.
Turned on realtime info and measured these parameter:
Device temp: <40°
Cpu usage: 20-50%
GPU usage: 70-90%
Screen black out when GPU usage reaches >70% usage. Device temperature is about 38°. To reset - lock screen and let GPU rest then unlock and resume gaming. Unplayable at highest settings.
Tried the settings on medium setting with 30fps. Once the GPU usage reaches a >70% screen will blackout within 1min.
Tried this with lowest settings with 30fps. GPU usage: 40-50% Have not experienced any blackouts using lowest settings. Have been playing with lowest settings since. Not acceptable considering rog 2 is a gaming phone.
*I am aware of the closed thread about screen blackout and the advice that we users are suppose to send the device to sc. However that issue is related to device temp: my issue is GPU usage related. So I'm opening this thread for awareness and discussion.

14 REPLIES 14

eugeneus_genius
Star II
nightmaster552

Can you link to the closed thread please? I would like to look more into it as someone has asked me to.

View post
Take a look at this thread
sauravshanbhogue

Screen automatically turns black with no display but the screen still appears to be kinda responsive (can still hear some device sounds and phone does not switch off) when gaming without charger conncted / basic web browsing with charger on. i.e when the phone heats. Having this issue only after new update. Fix this ASAP.

ROG PHONE II Screen blackout
This thread discuss on blackout caused by temperature. Somehow mine is caused by GPU. It's somewhat related I guess? Though my CPU never reaches 42° in the first place.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
eugeneus.genius

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/121175#Comment_121175

Take a look at this thread

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/29190/rog-phone-ii-screen-blackout

This thread discuss on blackout caused by temperature. Somehow mine is caused by GPU. It's somewhat related I guess? Though my CPU never reaches 42° in the first place.

View post
After looking at these threads and the blackout issue, it's probably not caused by temperature. After all the threads and Asus saying it's a hardware defect, it seems this is more than likely caused by power delivery rather than temperatures, people most likely mistook this for a thermal thing as both are related, more power -> higher temps.
This is probably very similair to the Macbook 15" 2010 model where the cap simply degraded over time due to being underspecced and causing kernel panics, while everyone mistook it for a GPU failure, I assume something similair happened here on the Rog2, knowing Asus they have new revisions of the logicboards with proper specced components handling the power delivery.
I would strongly recommend getting the phone repaired as there are no software solutions for this. If you're not under warranty, you may want to talk with Asus support and maybe they can get it replaced for free as it seems they are very aware of the issue and might give you a pass on that as it was clearly a defect made by Asus themselves.
Now keep in mind, I'm not saying this is 100% what it is, it's just an educated guess based on all threads and statements from Asus mods.

eugeneus_genius
Star II
nightmaster552

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/121235#Comment_121235

After looking at these threads and the blackout issue, it's probably not caused by temperature. After all the threads and Asus saying it's a hardware defect, it seems this is more than likely caused by power delivery rather than temperatures, people most likely mistook this for a thermal thing as both are related, more power -> higher temps.

This is probably very similair to the Macbook 15" 2010 model where the cap simply degraded over time due to being underspecced and causing kernel panics, while everyone mistook it for a GPU failure, I assume something similair happened here on the Rog2, knowing Asus they have new revisions of the logicboards with proper specced components handling the power delivery.

I would strongly recommend getting the phone repaired as there are no software solutions for this. If you're not under warranty, you may want to talk with Asus support and maybe they can get it replaced for free as it seems they are very aware of the issue and might give you a pass on that as it was clearly a defect made by Asus themselves.

Now keep in mind, I'm not saying this is 100% what it is, it's just an educated guess based on all threads and statements from Asus mods.

View post
While I understand the hardware failure may be a result of unqualified/degraded hardware - I still do not understand how this issue come about only after upgrading from A9 to A10. Yes i did mention that I'm running A9 however my A9 was a downgrade from A10. Downgrade due to this issue happening on A10 then persisted even after I downgrade.
I understand and appreciate your comment. However I would love to have an official response from ASUS stating that such hardware issue could be rectified without paying a repairs premium as I have paid a costly premium for the device.
Thanks!

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
eugeneus.genius

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/121284#Comment_121284

While I understand the hardware failure may be a result of unqualified/degraded hardware - I still do not understand how this issue come about only after upgrading from A9 to A10. Yes i did mention that I'm running A9 however my A9 was a downgrade from A10. Downgrade due to this issue happening on A10 then persisted even after I downgrade.

I understand and appreciate your comment. However I would love to have an official response from ASUS stating that such hardware issue could be rectified without paying a repairs premium as I have paid a costly premium for the device.

Thanks!

View post
Well let me explain then, the upgrade from A9 to A10 obviously caused the Rog2 to use more ressources over a long period of time, a ton of users have reported their battery draining fast and the phone generally being hotter on A10. If you have insufficient power delivery but keep stressing it, the parts will degrade significantly faster. All the upgrade from A10 has done is speeding up the process where the part/s would degrade to a state where even on lower loads it would cause issues. Your test would already go in line with my theory.
As for response, as mentioned, I think u'd be much better off contacting Asus support direcly. This is obviously an issue caused by Asus, so contacting Asus support to get a free repair is the only sensible way of getting what you want. I highly doubt writing in the forums would get you a free repair, as Mods here are more the type that listen to community complains and issues then forwards it to the technicians, the supporters are the ones that do RMA and such, at least that's how it works on borderline all manufacturers forums.

eugeneus_genius
Star II
nightmaster552

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/121287#Comment_121287

Well let me explain then, the upgrade from A9 to A10 obviously caused the Rog2 to use more ressources over a long period of time, a ton of users have reported their battery draining fast and the phone generally being hotter on A10. If you have insufficient power delivery but keep stressing it, the parts will degrade significantly faster. All the upgrade from A10 has done is speeding up the process where the part/s would degrade to a state where even on lower loads it would cause issues. Your test would already go in line with my theory.

As for response, as mentioned, I think u'd be much better off contacting Asus support direcly. This is obviously an issue caused by Asus, so contacting Asus support to get a free repair is the only sensible way of getting what you want. I highly doubt writing in the forums would get you a free repair, as Mods here are more the type that listen to community complains and issues then forwards it to the technicians, the supporters are the ones that do RMA and such, at least that's how it works on borderline all manufacturers forums.

View post
A10 seems like a downgrade then.. such a shame.
Either way i think ill drop by a nearby sc to check out my device. Mine's a tencent edition and i dont live in China. Hope since the warranty on my device is still til Nov - i will not have to fork anything to get any replacements.
Thanks btw.