ROG 3 suffers from heavy black crush issue

Cpz
Star III
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name:ROG
Firmware Version:
Rooted or not:not
Frequency of Occurrence:QKQ1.200419.002. WW_Phone-17.0823.2007.25
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):netflix,amazon prime india ,youtube(little bit)
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
I have brought device August 12 ,2020 through flipkart first sale at 6auhust. I was very happy until i open netflix ,it has vert bad black crush issue even at full brightness ,in 50pecent brightness colour washed out heavy black crush issue is this hardware or software issue??anyway im just gonna refund ....but i asked some of YouTubers they have none issue ,but for fellow customers only have this😓. I decided to live with this but some of units have no issue why i wanna live with this issue for years so i try to get refund and but 12gb varient.
In YouTube crush issue is little low when compared to netflix and amazon prime ,rather than that this dev is beast 😍
I have noticed heat in aero active coller side(40°to43°) always while playing pupg at 90hz,balanced,extream . although I'm staying in AC room 22°c all time!

screenshot-20200814-161049930.jpg
img-20200813-wa0011.jpg
picsart-08-13-04-46-11.jpg
picsart-08-13-04-44-38.jpg
img-20200813-wa0012.jpg

993 REPLIES 993

GameOjas
Rising Star I
Anders_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/115581#Comment_115581

We will continue to improve but you can't expect it to go away 100%. At very low brightness we need to introduce some red tone in order to gain more information in the grey areas so we can reduce black crush. This is part of the tuning we've made. We've tried to keep it down as low as possible.

View post
As much as I love almost everything else about ROG phone 3.
Black crush is never acceptable part of AMOLED screens, I never experienced it on my Samsung phone or OnePlus 5 and I bet you will never find this issue on apple phones.
So are we going to get a screen repair or replacement or refund ?

Dawgy
Star II
It is so sad that even while playing games I can see some black crush. This is my first time to have a flagship phone. I'm not like other people who can easily have this type of phone. It is a gift to me by my parents. Please don't let me down with this issue that I cannot avoid to see with my eyes asus. If this issue could not be fixed then there is zero percent chance for me to buy again future rog phones. Hope this could be fix asus.

4zmail
Star III
Haven't posted here in a while, because it's always the same, and I never got any answers from ASUS.
I was so excited, I had cash ready. Waiting and waiting, here in the US.
September... Almost gone.
And behold!
The issue isn't with the issues inherent in OLEDS, or software, or hardware. The issue is that ASUS CRAPPED ON EVERYONE.
These issues could not possible be a surprise. You release a phone, and all of a sudden, all your consumers hate the display issues?
You buy a flagship phone, but.... You have to go online to find workarounds?
How about having released a fully functional phone?
How about some QC? How about not treating your customers, and fans like they owe you, as opposed to you owe them?
I've asked until my I was blue in the face. I can't get answers from ASUS about simple questions - like when it's going to be available in the US, or if they postponed to fix these issues. And all you poor guys? You don't feel conned, at all?
I'm done here. Not visiting the forum again, not buying a ROG phone 3. Not supporting ASUS.
Life goes on.

MV
Rising Star II
4zmail

Haven't posted here in a while, because it's always the same, and I never got any answers from ASUS.

I was so excited, I had cash ready. Waiting and waiting, here in the US.

September... Almost gone.

And behold!

The issue isn't with the issues inherent in OLEDS, or software, or hardware. The issue is that ASUS CRAPPED ON EVERYONE.

These issues could not possible be a surprise. You release a phone, and all of a sudden, all your consumers hate the display issues?

You buy a flagship phone, but.... You have to go online to find workarounds?

How about having released a fully functional phone?

How about some QC? How about not treating your customers, and fans like they owe you, as opposed to you owe them?

I've asked until my I was blue in the face. I can't get answers from ASUS about simple questions - like when it's going to be available in the US, or if they postponed to fix these issues. And all you poor guys? You don't feel conned, at all?

I'm done here. Not visiting the forum again, not buying a ROG phone 3. Not supporting ASUS.

Life goes on.

View post
As a ROG fan in general I too have high hopes on the dev team. ROG 3, My first ASUS phone. Still I am expecting a detailed post from mods or ASUS on the issue and their plan to fix it. Just one liners from mods in middle of all threads with this and that is of no use to users unless the display issue is not critical to them. I can still wait as I am the patient one but will surely poke around. But if the issue is here to stay and they release ROG 4 till then I will be pissed off, really pissed off as most of others. Wish at least they could come up with a replacement plan of whole digitizer. Because just imagine if this display cracks or breaks it will surely be at a price of a mid range phone. I really don't want that to happen to anyone. Imagine paying a hefty price for a display panel that you didn't enjoy to the fullest.

John_p
Rising Star I
GameOjas

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/115694#Comment_115694

As much as I love almost everything else about ROG phone 3.

Black crush is never acceptable part of AMOLED screens, I never experienced it on my Samsung phone or OnePlus 5 and I bet you will never find this issue on apple phones.

So are we going to get a screen repair or replacement or refund ?

View post
Bro I'm not defending Asus in anyway but till date iPhone has used only 2 phones with amoled panes and both have been below 6 inches and low refresh rate phones . So it's way easier to calibrate getting all the colours right . Also when those were released it was 1 lakh in India and in sure will be the same everywhere except US . ( Double of what we paid 😬😬) and in case of op and Samsung also again leave one plus and Samsung u take any phone company before 2019 none have black crush coz they didn't have so many things inside the phone. Now they focus on many others aspects so mess up some . Let's just wait and hope for the best or we have to live with what we have . Idk how bad it is yours but mines not too bad so I'm fine with it