Heating issues Asus ZenFone 8

snake316.zksnake316.zk Level 1
edited June 11 in ZenFone 8

Please tell us some basic information before asking for help: Phone heats up very quickly when using for light tasks ie Browing web pages, reading messages on what's app etc

1. Model Name: Asus ZenFone 8
  2. Firmware Version: 30.11.51.60
  3. Rooted or not: Not
  4. Frequency of Occurrence: whenever in use
  5. APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): N/A

First time buyer for Asus, well in mobile market any way. I feel like crying because why Asus would you make possibly what could of been the best phone in the market and just throw it away. Was anticipating release of this handset and my gosh how disappointed I am. Phone becomes abnormally hot from normal use and my word, when charging don't even ask. Put it this way, I can't hold the top half of phone for more than few mins before feeling like I will have burn marks on my fingers. With big regret will be sending this phone back tomorrow, such a wasted opportunity. First impressions not great

========================================

Comments

• RoystoysRoystoys Level 4

There is something wrong with your device,I don't believe anyone else has reported this problem

• Does this also happen in Dynamic power Mode? (Settings -> Battery -> System modes)

• Alex'sAlex's Level 1

It has also happened to me several times that the device gets warm for no reason. 

Yesterday, it got warm by itself in my pocket. I guess that always happens when the reception is weak.

• I have the same problem. Got mine yesterday and it overheats on the top half of the device while charging. At least the charging is relatively fast so it's only at that temperatures for less than an hour, but the rest of the day is also very hot and that causes the battery to drain insanely fast

• kbala1992kbala1992 Level 1

Heating issue for me as well

• dradumdradum Level 1

The most recent update (51.83) says that it improved thermals for the Asus Camera. However, it did NOT improve thermals, as Asus claims. Just like before the update, I am barely able to record 6 minutes of 4k 60 fps before the camera app shuts down. And mind you, this happens at an ambient temperature of about 29 °C, not 35. Also, the phone heats up rapidly when performing usual tasks, such as updating the apps. Again, just like before. This is already the fifth update and the heating issue is not resolved. And no, it is not just my phone, there are plenty of folks on this forum complaining about that. I have had enough. I am returning the phone.

• th.beschth.besch Level 1

Hi there,

today I streamed a YouTube video to my tv, and after a few minutes the zenfone was incredibely hot. Also I noticed a huge battery drain. This does not happen with my six y/o Sony Xperia Z1 compact, which means it is not necessary to use so much energy for the streaming procedure.

May be this is a useful information for the developers to solve the overheating problem?

• Since today, even talking on the phone heats it up to uncomfortable point. And this is with advanced battery options all to the left....

• Alex'sAlex's Level 1

The advanced mode is broken because the cpu never goes down below 1.3 Ghz. Use Dynamic or better ultra durable with activated background sync, 90hz. Disable the visual setting of ultra durable mode. There's a extra setting to disable the orange battery icon. This allows for a reasonably good battery runtime.

• May I should switch off the phone when not using it. The battery performance may start to behave the expected way 🙂

I didn't give my money to restrict the performance of the phone in order for the battery to get me through the day with 2h browsing, 10min calls and 3 images.

I want a fix.

• th.beschth.besch Level 1

Strangely watching a YouTube video does not consume much battery and the phone stays quite cool, but streaming it to a tv lets the solder drip out. Why?

• My zenfone 8 is overheating as well. Please we need urgent update and explanations. Is not a coincidence is a well known issue.

• Right, same issue here. Phone heats up in my pocket even when the screen is not active. How to prevent this?

• Ok, as someone higher up in the discussion suggested, it could be related to 5G. So I turned off 5G and now the phone no longer heats up in my pocket. I kind of doubt this was the intention of 5G, so I am quite interested to understand when this will be resolved.. :-)

• My zenfone8 is heating up also by just using it for few minutes...

When will it be fixed?

I bought this phone last week for 700 €

• I just bought my Zenfone 8 flip yesterday and I'm also having an overheating issue. :( this is disappointing. Any help?

• I think biggest mistake was to implement 888 - 870 would more than enough considering size and other features.

• I don't think this issue will disappears with future updates.

• For those who are rooted can maybe give https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-module-01-09-21-pnp-tuner-for-zenfone-8.4327631/ and https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/kernel-04-09-2021-android-11-kirisakura-1-4-7-for-asus-zenfone-8-aka-sake.4295287/ a try.

I guess adjusting power settings should also affect the heating of the device.

• Hi, i'm having the same problem, the phone overheats and it drains a lot of battery, my Zenfone arrived yesterday