Reddish tint while playing a video on YouTube and Black crush issue

kamal_ms45kamal_ms45 Level 1
edited March 3 in ROG Phone 3

Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:

1. Model Name:Asus ROG3
  2. Firmware Version: 2012.122
  3. Rooted or not: no
  4. Frequency of Occurrence: always
  5. APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): YouTube app version: 15.50.35

In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.

========================================

Bought the phone yesterday.

I have disabled the HW overlay setting in developer options and it helped with the reddish tint, but the Black crush still exists.

For the Black crush I downloaded an app called screen balance and changed the settings and the Black crush issue reduced but its still there.

Comments

• Hi kamal4554,

For Blackcrush with every update we are optimizing the overall experience.

• Black crush is more of a global issue at this point. Many new phones seem to suffer from it, altho the Rog3 has a more extreme case of it. The gammacurve is messed up and this is mainly caused by the fact that phones are getting brighter. The reason why black crush is worse on the Rog3 compared to other phones is mainly due to pixelworks poop.

• Since this is a fresh thread i want to share a problem which is believe is hardware related. As shown in the picture black crush is more one side than the other. Can i refer it to a service center and get my display replaced under warranty?

@ARP_ASUS

• Try to turn on the auto rotate the watch if the black on the top left will move..if it's not then it's a hardware issue

• I did it and they replaced it, as long it follows the rotation then its a hardware defect. If you turn the device and the black crush still on the same corner then its simply the software settings.

• ajinkya017ajinkya017 Level 2
    edited January 9

@nightmaster552 yes I did see your video from where I thought I should also check my phone's display for the same. It isn't as extreme as was visible on your phone but it is more like a lot of grain on the top left corner so yes will take it to service center.

@[email protected] yes it remains in the same position regardless of the orientation of the video.

Update: visited the service center. They were convinced and agreed to replace the display.

• Thank you for the update. Glad to hear that you are trying to fix it. Would be good if the response was a little faster.

Hope you find the fix soon and roll out the update.

P.S : I gotta say that except for the Black crush the rest of the experience is really good, even the heat management and the battery is superb. Really impressed.

• Yes, I have read some threads on reditt that it's a caliberation issue which was done by pixelworks. If that's true, hope the Asus team can coordinate with them and fix it.

• No you're not, I have rog 2 with around 4 updates from the date I bought, you guys haven't worked on this issue for a single second. I cannot see how your are optimising the overall experience.

• Update .131

The Black crush has reduced a little for the brightness range or 0-40, but its still there. However if the brightness is above 40 it is significant. Please do work on fixing it completely.

Happy to see some improvement.

Thanks

• Even after the update it's significant and not usable in some scenarios will visit the service center for replacement

• A replacement? You still didn't get all the phones are the same because the problem is the software? (which is the same for everyone)

• No. I got my screen replaced because i had a problem with pixelation predominantly on the top left side of the screen and resulted in more black crush in that area. The service centre guys saw that and agreed to replace. Now after replacement, the behaviour has changed and moved to the right edge rather than a blob on the left. Now there is no difference observable based on orientation though ideally there may be. Dont see it in day to day use. Also my earlier panel had a red overlay on the lockscreen when i swiped up for the pin. It is not there after the screen was replaced. It is kind of weird. But that's how it is. Software tweaks will certainly solve issues but i now believe panels are also a part of the problem.

Of course this isnt a definitive take on the topic just a personal opinion i have formed after the experiences with one device.

This discussion has been closed.