cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZenFone 9 randomly restarts

HelpingHand
Rising Star I
Hi all,
I bought an Asus ZenFone 9 from the UK online store. I started to migrate the apps from my old phone to the zf9 and once I finished I started to use my new ZenFone 9 as my main phone. However, I noticed around 3 dso that when i wentato unplug a fter charging the phone it looked as if it has been restarted. I thought it was a software update that somehow just did that so I didn't pay attention but then it repeated again and again every day since.

I started paying attention to it and started trying to disable certain features to see if that made a difference: disabled mobile data, left everything on and now I'm on airplane mode with WiFi on.

I upgraded to the latest version that was pushed some days ago hoping that it would magically solve the issue but... it didn't!

I quick Google Search revealed that sadly this issue is not that uncommon, and has already happened in the UK and Germany to other ZenFone 9 owners.

Is this a hardware problem? Is there a fix or a patch other than simply perform a factory reset and keep seeing the same issue? Can please someone from Asus look into this issue?
Plehank youase tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ZenFone 9
Firmware Version: WW_32.2040.2040.23
Rooted or not: no
Frequency of Occurrence: every day
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): not related to an app
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
=================================

screenshot-20220929-111646-settings.jpg
screenshot-20220929-111703-settings.jpg

Scenario: use the phone as usual, leave the phone idle a few times a day, at some point, when you try to use the phone after it sat idle for some time you'll notice that it had restarted because you'll be asked to enter your password again and about/ status will show an up time of just a few minutes
291 REPLIES 291

smurrayjeffery
Star II

Well, I hoped I wouldn't have to be back here, but here we are. 2nd RMA of the phone in less than 4 months of ownership. I've used it for less than 1 month total. Got it back last week, with the main board replaced, and made it just shy of 180 hours without a reboot. Then, 30 minutes ago while the phone sat idle on my desk, it cold rebooted. I'm on A13, all updated, apps updated, no rooting, nothing extra, all stock 12Gb/256Gb black version. Unfortunately, I'm beginning to believe there is no hope. I have purchased an $850 device with an issue that seemingly cannot be fixed. I had to drop an additional $670 for a device to use while the Zenfone was being repaired, that I sold at a loss (but also to make sure I didn't just want to keep the Pixel 7 either). To make matters worse, Asus Repair Center sent my phone back in an oversized box with loose packaging, so it spent it's whole trip back to me sliding around a box meant for a laptop. Brilliant work from Asus. I'm done now. I've accepted that my phone has a fate of intermittent reboots and I hope to God it doesn't decide to have one if I am having an emergency. I will use this phone until I can afford a different one and then I will cast this phone off a cliff side and refrain from purchasing another Asus mobile device, no matter how good the specs are or what features it's offering.

SimonB
Star I

Hi All,

Im also having the random restart problem. I'm in Australia and bought the phone from JB hi-fi. I would love to have a solution to this problem. It is very disappointing to invest quite a bit of money in a phone and have this problem. My last phone was a very cheap Oppo that functioned almost flawlessly. I hope Asus fixes this problem.  If I can help please let me know how.

Thanks all!

jjdynasty
Star I

Does it have to do with being connected to wifi? I can use my phone the whole day on the street at work (I'm a mailman) but it only ever restarts at home. I can't really think of anything else that is consistent between all the restarts. happens while using all different apps, while charging and not charging, with/without blutetooth

there's just no way to purposefully trigger it, it's so bizzare man

I do think it has something to do with the wifi, just based on my own casual observation of the pattern of restarts. I'll pay more attention and see if I notice a specific pattern.