cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZenFone 9 randomly restarts

HelpingHand
Rising Star I
Hi all,
I bought an Asus ZenFone 9 from the UK online store. I started to migrate the apps from my old phone to the zf9 and once I finished I started to use my new ZenFone 9 as my main phone. However, I noticed around 3 dso that when i wentato unplug a fter charging the phone it looked as if it has been restarted. I thought it was a software update that somehow just did that so I didn't pay attention but then it repeated again and again every day since.

I started paying attention to it and started trying to disable certain features to see if that made a difference: disabled mobile data, left everything on and now I'm on airplane mode with WiFi on.

I upgraded to the latest version that was pushed some days ago hoping that it would magically solve the issue but... it didn't!

I quick Google Search revealed that sadly this issue is not that uncommon, and has already happened in the UK and Germany to other ZenFone 9 owners.

Is this a hardware problem? Is there a fix or a patch other than simply perform a factory reset and keep seeing the same issue? Can please someone from Asus look into this issue?
Plehank youase tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ZenFone 9
Firmware Version: WW_32.2040.2040.23
Rooted or not: no
Frequency of Occurrence: every day
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): not related to an app
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
=================================

screenshot-20220929-111646-settings.jpg
screenshot-20220929-111703-settings.jpg

Scenario: use the phone as usual, leave the phone idle a few times a day, at some point, when you try to use the phone after it sat idle for some time you'll notice that it had restarted because you'll be asked to enter your password again and about/ status will show an up time of just a few minutes
291 REPLIES 291

Dranivil
Star III
Just tomorrow it had been 2 weeks since it restarted and just now it has happened again. One question, do you have the bootloader unlocked or the phone rooted?

HelpingHand
Rising Star I

Dranivil

Just tomorrow it had been 2 weeks since it restarted and just now it has happened again. One question, do you have the bootloader unlocked or the phone rooted?

View post
Hi @Dranivil ,
No, I do not have a boot loader nor unlocked it nor tried to.
I normally don't root this kind of phones so early as it normally voids the warranty. I also prefer not experimenting with "beta" versions of Android to reduce the possibility of "expected errors" (due to it being a "beta version").
I have also avoided installing any random app from the appstore, also not using f-droid nor any app from there either. I'm trying to keep the phone as "normal user" as possible.

I do have a few questions given your feedback:
Did you buy the phone in Europe?
Do you have a SIM card inserted with all enabled (bluetooth, wifi, data, etc..)?
Have you put "airplane mode" at any point during this period of 2 weeks?
Have you changed any battery-related or "performance" settings?
Is this a change in behaviour as compared to what it was before? (what was the frequency of restarts before?)
If this is a change in behaviour, when did it happen? (if possible, can you specify the firmware version that you are running and whether that "improved" the frequency of restarts?)

Thanks!

HelpingHand
Rising Star I
@Dranivil I forgot to ask, did you switch off the phone or let it ran out of battery at all during that period of 2 weeks or it was always "on" / or in sleep mode?

Gosia
Star II
FYI there is also a bunch of people on reddit brainstorming on it, maybe some of you have posted in the thread. It seems to me there might be some people from outside Europe who are having the same problem. I can't posta link but Hope the link works (if not, the threat is called "ZenFone 9 Random shutdown and restart"
https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/wkl5rt/zenfone_9_random_shutdown_and_restart/

HelpingHand
Rising Star I
Gosia

FYI there is also a bunch of people on reddit brainstorming on it, maybe some of you have posted in the thread. It seems to me there might be some people from outside Europe who are having the same problem. I can't posta link but Hope the link works (if not, the threat is called "ZenFone 9 Random shutdown and restart"

https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/wkl5rt/zenfone_9_random_shutdown_and_restart/

View post
Thank you @Gosia , I'm super familiar with it. That's how I know the specs of the phone don't really matter. However, I couldn't find a comment saying that someone was not in Europe, could you leave a message there on reddit or here highlighting the text so I know which one it is the non-europeans user and ask them?

So far, all seems very consistent except for what you said (restarting while being in use and possible wifi issues) and what Dranivil just mentioned about "working ok for 2 weeks".
Thanks!