cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZenFone 9 randomly restarts

HelpingHand
Rising Star I
Hi all,
I bought an Asus ZenFone 9 from the UK online store. I started to migrate the apps from my old phone to the zf9 and once I finished I started to use my new ZenFone 9 as my main phone. However, I noticed around 3 dso that when i wentato unplug a fter charging the phone it looked as if it has been restarted. I thought it was a software update that somehow just did that so I didn't pay attention but then it repeated again and again every day since.

I started paying attention to it and started trying to disable certain features to see if that made a difference: disabled mobile data, left everything on and now I'm on airplane mode with WiFi on.

I upgraded to the latest version that was pushed some days ago hoping that it would magically solve the issue but... it didn't!

I quick Google Search revealed that sadly this issue is not that uncommon, and has already happened in the UK and Germany to other ZenFone 9 owners.

Is this a hardware problem? Is there a fix or a patch other than simply perform a factory reset and keep seeing the same issue? Can please someone from Asus look into this issue?
Plehank youase tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ZenFone 9
Firmware Version: WW_32.2040.2040.23
Rooted or not: no
Frequency of Occurrence: every day
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): not related to an app
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
=================================

screenshot-20220929-111646-settings.jpg
screenshot-20220929-111703-settings.jpg

Scenario: use the phone as usual, leave the phone idle a few times a day, at some point, when you try to use the phone after it sat idle for some time you'll notice that it had restarted because you'll be asked to enter your password again and about/ status will show an up time of just a few minutes
291 REPLIES 291

HelpingHand
Rising Star I
It seems this is the solution?
No restarts so far everything is working fine. I think it was an issue with the main board related to simcard on aeroplane mode it was fine . Only when it was connected to simcard network there was this issue . If you have this problem please contact Asus as soon as possible . It's working fine and I am happy with the phone . Everything is just perfect for me the size the battery life the speed . It's a pity that I got a bad Bach of early device. But hey at least it's fixed now after to many back and forth with Asus .

This on 2022-10-04, and he jus described what I mentioned some posts earlier. That it works ok on "airplane mode" along with what @De Funes and I experienced regarding the issue appeared when inserting the SIM card

I'm still testing so I can't confirm but will share as soon as I have the certainty. What lets me a bit down is what was said above that after 2 weeks the issue is back

paweldejko
Star III
Well, maybe I will add from myself, not having the problem of reboots:
- I use 2 SIM cards, a permanent one from 2014 Orange Poland (Nju Mobile) and during the working hours of the card from 2017 P4 (Play). After working hours, the SIM 2 card is turned off (not removed, deactivated in the settings),
- I use mobile data transmission sporadically, when it is needed, and not all the time. But a few hours of GPS navigation with the transmission on does not cause reboots,
- similar to WiFi, I use it as needed, but also turned on for several hours does not cause reboots.

Since the beginning of using the device, the phone has not reset itself automatically - the time since the last, manual restart (a problem with the Textra application) is 315 hours.

HelpingHand
Rising Star I
paweldejko

Well, maybe I will add from myself, not having the problem of reboots:

- I use 2 SIM cards, a permanent one from 2014 Orange Poland (Nju Mobile) and during the working hours of the card from 2017 P4 (Play). After working hours, the SIM 2 card is turned off (not removed, deactivated in the settings),

- I use mobile data transmission sporadically, when it is needed, and not all the time. But a few hours of GPS navigation with the transmission on does not cause reboots,

- similar to WiFi, I use it as needed, but also turned on for several hours does not cause reboots.

Since the beginning of using the device, the phone has not reset itself automatically - the time since the last, manual restart (a problem with the Textra application) is 315 hours.

View post
Thanks for the update Pawel, this just shows that not all devices are being affected (as you mentioned earlier). What you described is similar to my setup with the big difference of seeing random reboots. I personally think that there is something wrong with some units but I still need some time to test.

paweldejko
Star III
HelpingHand

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/236403#Comment_236403

Thanks for the update Pawel, this just shows that not all devices are being affected (as you mentioned earlier). What you described is similar to my setup with the big difference of seeing random reboots. I personally think that there is something wrong with some units but I still need some time to test.

View post
I wonder if some devices (a certain batch) came out with a faulty GSM modem. From what I read, the problem mainly concerns Europe.
If the serial number showed the date of manufacture or the type of modem used, it would be possible to determine whether a given phone is from a given batch.
My phone is a 16/256 model ordered at the end of August in one of several (three) stores in Poland cooperating with Asus.

HelpingHand
Rising Star I
paweldejko

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/236404#Comment_236404

I wonder if some devices (a certain batch) came out with a faulty GSM modem. From what I read, the problem mainly concerns Europe.

If the serial number showed the date of manufacture or the type of modem used, it would be possible to determine whether a given phone is from a given batch.

My phone is a 16/256 model ordered at the end of August in one of several (three) stores in Poland cooperating with Asus.

View post
Possibly only Asus would know, but that's exactly what I think. For me, it has been super painful as I haven't actually used the phone since I bought it, just back and forth exactly as the guy from reddit described.
So far, it seems it happened just in Europe: Italy, Germany, UK, Czech Republic. I think you are the only one reporting from Poland and it works fine for you.

Certainly, those countries were the reports are coming from also have perfectly working phones but it is where the faulty ones were reported. I have followed closely the release in the US (btw they received headphones/earphones for free!) and I haven't seen any complaints related to this (so far). The only concern for the US market was related with 5G and whether it was available or not or whether it was too slow but nothing related to random reboots.