cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZenFone 9 randomly restarts

HelpingHand
Rising Star I
Hi all,
I bought an Asus ZenFone 9 from the UK online store. I started to migrate the apps from my old phone to the zf9 and once I finished I started to use my new ZenFone 9 as my main phone. However, I noticed around 3 dso that when i wentato unplug a fter charging the phone it looked as if it has been restarted. I thought it was a software update that somehow just did that so I didn't pay attention but then it repeated again and again every day since.

I started paying attention to it and started trying to disable certain features to see if that made a difference: disabled mobile data, left everything on and now I'm on airplane mode with WiFi on.

I upgraded to the latest version that was pushed some days ago hoping that it would magically solve the issue but... it didn't!

I quick Google Search revealed that sadly this issue is not that uncommon, and has already happened in the UK and Germany to other ZenFone 9 owners.

Is this a hardware problem? Is there a fix or a patch other than simply perform a factory reset and keep seeing the same issue? Can please someone from Asus look into this issue?
Plehank youase tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ZenFone 9
Firmware Version: WW_32.2040.2040.23
Rooted or not: no
Frequency of Occurrence: every day
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): not related to an app
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
=================================

screenshot-20220929-111646-settings.jpg
screenshot-20220929-111703-settings.jpg

Scenario: use the phone as usual, leave the phone idle a few times a day, at some point, when you try to use the phone after it sat idle for some time you'll notice that it had restarted because you'll be asked to enter your password again and about/ status will show an up time of just a few minutes
291 REPLIES 291

Dranivil
Star III
b.preslavski

Yesterday I had a sudden freeze of the device with a "colorful glitch" on the screen, while using. I had to press the power button twice for more than 10sec, in order to restart it and get it to work. During the night, while charging - another restart. I'm starting to think, that the problem is really hardware. I also notice more heating lately.

View post
Are you really doubting that it is not a hardware problem? Asus has been making excuses for 4 months, prolonging a supposed update that fixes the problem and that has never arrived and will never arrive. Affected users who have returned the phone and received another one have stopped having reboots. Obviously Asus is not going to acknowledge a manufacturing problem because it would face massive returns and financial losses. But the harsh reality is that.

dimark096
Star II
dimark096

Hey everyone.

I bought my Asus ZenFone 9 3 weeks ago, since day 1 I had random restarts. It happened few times during the day, sometimes during calls, so its really annoying.

It also happening every night (I don't charge the phone during the night). I realise it restarts because it asks to enter the password manually.

I still at android 12.

How can I resolve this issue?? I didn't expect this kind of issues with this price range and reputation of the company.

By the way, Is this issue resolved with android 13? Is there any new bugs in android 13?

View post
** I want to update my case.
I sent it to the ASUS lab, and today they reached out to me and told me that the phone has a problem with the motherboard. They offered to replace it with a new one or a refund.
as @texh00 , @HelpingHand already mentioned, it's a hardware problem.
now I'm thinking about whether should i take a new one or search for another phone...

smurrayjeffery
Star II
@dimark096 is the Asus Lab an in person thing? I'd love to know if there's one near me because if I go through Asus Support online, they'll offer to repair the phone with me paying for shipping again, but not a refund for it. I'm based in the US.

dimark096
Star II
@smurrayjeffery I'm from Israel, and there is an Asus service here.
I just called customer service, they picked up the phone free of charge since it's still under warranty.
after 3 days they called, told me that the motherboard is faulty, and issued a replacement/refund to the store I bought it in.

De_Funes
Star II
Hello everyone,
my posts to this discussion are on pages 2, 3 and 4 and like others here I've had the problem of random reboots. These restarts did not start until about a month after the device was put into operation and their occurrence was very unpredictable. Sometimes the phone lasted up to several days without random reboot, other times it restarted practically every other day.
I was prompted by the moderators of this forum to log a bug with the built-in bug reporter, and to provide the generated logs for further research. I did it. In the end, I learned to orientate myself in these reports so much that I was able to trace the restarting issue and assign occurrence dates to it.
Along with @HelpingHand , I tried to figure out which phone setting or app could be causing the problem, but now I know it was a waste of time (...as well as waiting for a fix in the next software update).
Based on the provided error logs, I was then told by the moderator from here on the forum that the phone has a HW problem and I was offered to recall the device from the customer in the form of an RMA. Instead of another wasted time with testing, I consider this message from the forum moderator and the proposed solution to be as fair as possible in the given situation, and I want to give additional thanks for it at this point.
About a week after the initial information about the HW problem, I had a new Zenfone 9 (same 8 GB/256 GB) in my hands, manufacture date 2022.09, (see the label on the phone box - the original problem phone had a manufacture date 2022.07). I set up the phone in exactly the same way as the previous piece, installed identical user apps, stopped system updates to the identical software version I was running the original faulty piece on (WW_32.2050.2050.29) and finally started using the phone normally. At this moment, I have more than 1000 hours of device operation without restarting - see printscreen below, i.e. approximately more than 40 days of continuous operation (I have been working with the phone since mid-November in total).
For me, the case is closed like this: this is a HW problem that ASUS knows about, although it has never officially acknowledged it publicly, as is usually for example in the case with recalls in the automotive industry. For me, this public "non-acknowledgment" is the only stain on the reputation of ASUS, which I am willing to forgive now, with a working phone in my hand which they really did well.
De Funes
screenshot-20230103-163904-settings-1.jpg
@dimark096 wrote on January 2:
„now I'm thinking about whether should i take a new one or search for another phone...“
Take a new one, absolutely 😉