cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZenFone 9 randomly restarts

HelpingHand
Rising Star I
Hi all,
I bought an Asus ZenFone 9 from the UK online store. I started to migrate the apps from my old phone to the zf9 and once I finished I started to use my new ZenFone 9 as my main phone. However, I noticed around 3 dso that when i wentato unplug a fter charging the phone it looked as if it has been restarted. I thought it was a software update that somehow just did that so I didn't pay attention but then it repeated again and again every day since.

I started paying attention to it and started trying to disable certain features to see if that made a difference: disabled mobile data, left everything on and now I'm on airplane mode with WiFi on.

I upgraded to the latest version that was pushed some days ago hoping that it would magically solve the issue but... it didn't!

I quick Google Search revealed that sadly this issue is not that uncommon, and has already happened in the UK and Germany to other ZenFone 9 owners.

Is this a hardware problem? Is there a fix or a patch other than simply perform a factory reset and keep seeing the same issue? Can please someone from Asus look into this issue?
Plehank youase tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ZenFone 9
Firmware Version: WW_32.2040.2040.23
Rooted or not: no
Frequency of Occurrence: every day
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): not related to an app
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
=================================

screenshot-20220929-111646-settings.jpg
screenshot-20220929-111703-settings.jpg

Scenario: use the phone as usual, leave the phone idle a few times a day, at some point, when you try to use the phone after it sat idle for some time you'll notice that it had restarted because you'll be asked to enter your password again and about/ status will show an up time of just a few minutes
291 REPLIES 291

jefniro
Star I
Hello, I'm joining in the club of the "Random reboot phone"... 😕 From a couple of weeks my Zenfone started to reboot without any reason! It happens when I charge it even when it's not connected to the power cable. I use slow recharge and max 90%. It seems something happened after the last small (I think security of 5th December) update.
I don't want to send it because it would be the second time..
Build number: WW_33.0804.2060.73
Android 13
Regards...

Nadzi
Rising Star I
Do you really believe in repair??? didn't you get it yet?

Imaginous
Star II
It happend to me for the second time in 2 months.
It's not that frequent, and hard to believe it's hardware.
Replacing the motherboard is quite a thing. You have to setup an alternative phone. Wait 2 weeks or so.
Then pray if it has been solved.

It would be nice if Asus could tell us what the hardware problem is. Which component is defective on the motherboard so I can tell if it makes sense.
I know some people with a Zenfone 8 with similar experiences.

smurrayjeffery
Star II
I bought my ZF9 from Mobile Advance in the US. Immediately had horrible battery drain (40% in 2 hours of SoT with settings configured to save the battery), mobile network drops in my own apartment whenever I put the phone in my pocket, and random restarts. Had the phone 5 days before I RMA'd it. Asus had it for over a month and the only communication I got outside of me live chatting support every week (since there's no North America number to call, how brilliant is that) was one call telling me they couldn't replicate the problem. I think spent 40 minutes on the phone telling the rep from Asus how they could replicate the problem and then boom! 4 days later I'm getting sent a new phone because the device was a lemon. Not off to a great start, but I think, "Hey, so long as it fixed, no harm, no foul. " Except for the new device arrived and it reboots now more than ever. Currently sitting at 2 times just today, one of which was an hour and a half ago. I had a shutdown overnight last week where the phone just wouldn't turn back on for a solid 15 minutes. I held every button combo down for 20+ seconds and eventually it powered itself back on (I think I was holding power and vol down). During my panic to get it to boot, I plugged it in to see if the battery has somehow died the 51% charge it had left when I stopped using it the night before. When the phone finally booted, the battery was at 47%.

I really don't enjoy having to QA and QC test a phone for a company that has made several other interactions and upgrades to it's line over the years. I really dislike waking my phone from an idle state to see that stupid prompt for the pattern when I didn't restart it. I really hate the idea that a ha ha silly random reboot could come during a time if emergency and there will be nothing I can do to stop it. I regret purchasing this phone, deeply. The seller I bought it from was the only US seller and didn't have any replacement devices, which is why I was forced into the first RMA. I don't know if I can deal with a second RMA and another month of waiting. I should've just bought a Pixel 7. Heck, I still might and just let this be a $856.93 USD (plus $40 for the case and $20 for screen protector since there's only like 2 options for decent protection for this phone) lesson learned about the dangers of deviating from companies with whole percentages of market share. And the kicker on top of all of this is that the battery life is almost on par with my old phone, the OnePlus 7 Pro.

b_preslavski
Star III
Yesterday I had a sudden freeze of the device with a "colorful glitch" on the screen, while using. I had to press the power button twice for more than 10sec, in order to restart it and get it to work. During the night, while charging - another restart. I'm starting to think, that the problem is really hardware. I also notice more heating lately.