cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZenFone 9 randomly restarts

HelpingHand
Rising Star I
Hi all,
I bought an Asus ZenFone 9 from the UK online store. I started to migrate the apps from my old phone to the zf9 and once I finished I started to use my new ZenFone 9 as my main phone. However, I noticed around 3 dso that when i wentato unplug a fter charging the phone it looked as if it has been restarted. I thought it was a software update that somehow just did that so I didn't pay attention but then it repeated again and again every day since.

I started paying attention to it and started trying to disable certain features to see if that made a difference: disabled mobile data, left everything on and now I'm on airplane mode with WiFi on.

I upgraded to the latest version that was pushed some days ago hoping that it would magically solve the issue but... it didn't!

I quick Google Search revealed that sadly this issue is not that uncommon, and has already happened in the UK and Germany to other ZenFone 9 owners.

Is this a hardware problem? Is there a fix or a patch other than simply perform a factory reset and keep seeing the same issue? Can please someone from Asus look into this issue?
Plehank youase tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ZenFone 9
Firmware Version: WW_32.2040.2040.23
Rooted or not: no
Frequency of Occurrence: every day
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): not related to an app
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
=================================

screenshot-20220929-111646-settings.jpg
screenshot-20220929-111703-settings.jpg

Scenario: use the phone as usual, leave the phone idle a few times a day, at some point, when you try to use the phone after it sat idle for some time you'll notice that it had restarted because you'll be asked to enter your password again and about/ status will show an up time of just a few minutes
291 REPLIES 291

Mansi_ASUS
Hey @HelpingHand!
Sadly, we can't create a solution or rely on assumptions to solve this issue. While some of the users are experiencing random reboots, this is not the case for all users which means there are variations we need to consider. The R&D has been examining the logs shared by 2-3 users, however, there isn't enough evidence to pinpoint a specific catalyst which is why it's so important that we receive the logs.

HelpingHand
Rising Star I
Mansi_ASUS

Hey @HelpingHand!

Sadly, we can't create a solution or rely on assumptions to solve this issue. While some of the users are experiencing random reboots, this is not the case for all users which means there are variations we need to consider. The R&D has been examining the logs shared by 2-3 users, however, there isn't enough evidence to pinpoint a specific catalyst which is why it's so important that we receive the logs.

View post
Hi @Mansi_ASUS ,
Thanks for your update, could you specify what variations are you considering at the moment?
also, could you share details regarding what was done in the latest firmware to tackle this issue? even in general terms (SIM card, mainboard, changed x or y), that might be helpful for the people testing
what assumptions in particular are you referring to?

frafa
Star III
Hi! Any reboot after 24 hours now with the "new" ZF9

HelpingHand
Rising Star I
frafa

Hi! Any reboot after 24 hours now with the "new" ZF9

View post
do you mean..no reboots with the new zf9 after 24 hours? 😊

Leschek
Star III
Hi all,
I am impressed how the thread is a live here.
My full respect for you @HelpingHand

To the point.
I think I am also affected by malfunctions of the Zenfone9. However any reboots have affected me so far.
I have other issues, which are terrible annoying me.
I have to admit, that I have not review this thread before (because it is tagged with "reboots", which don't affect me), so this is why I started my own thread, see it here:
Leschek

Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:

1. Model Name: Zenfone 9, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB 
  2. Firmware Version: WW-32.2050.2050.29
  3. Rooted or not: NOT
  4. Frequency of Occurrence: every few minutes
  5. APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):

In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.

========================================

Hello,

Last days I got OTA update to FW ver. WW-32.2050.2050.29

After that I instantly could observe the issues like below:

·       1) the battery is discharging much faster,

·       2) the WiFi connection goes OFF in 50% cases after screen goes off,

·       3) The camera anti-flicker option is no longer handling my light environment at home,

·       4) I observe few apps (Whatsapp, Loxone, 9gag, mydealz) hang up from time to time and need to be killed and started again to bring them into operation again

·       5) the fingerprint does not work stable like before,

·       6) the phone does not wake up instantly or not at all in 30% of cases when pushing the side button

The issues are annoying me terrible since about 1 week.

Which things I tried to solve the issues:

·       a) trying to use different battery modes,

·       b) clearing app's cache and in the end fully removing and installing them again,

·       c) removing fingerprints and adding them again

·       d) resetting the wifi/bluetooth settings

and because all of above has not helped:

·       e) I made hard reset 2 times already, once per phone settings, once via Recovery Mode

And still my problems remain unsolved!

I am getting crazy, because now I am fully disappoint how the phone works.

Until the mentioned FW update all was working really good, I was really happy with the phone and its performance as well with the battery life.

I really doubt, that there is a way to solve my described issues.

This is why I think the downgrade to previous FW ver. WW-32.2040.2040.23 is the only possible solution. I tried to do it, I have searched how to do it, but I could not find any FW package, which allows the downgrade procedure.

Can someone help me with the downgrade?

Many issues after OTA FW update to ver. WW-32.2050.2050.29

What is worth to underline from my thread, or to add, is that:
-> the most annoying issues for me are 1, 2, 5, 6.
-> to issues 1-6 came additionally:
7) notification tones are in 50% not played (phone is in front of me during working day, so I see messages come but no notification sound is played...),
😎 once after hard reset procedure I have fully configured the phone for me, then I was taking few pictures and next day the pictures were removed
9) the apps are killed in the background so the OS starts them from 0 when I want to use it, even if I have configured them in the OptiFlex -, AutoManager- Tool, Battery unrestricted mode, pinning them in the last used apps, etc.,
-> before the FW update to WW-32.2050.2050.29 I have not noticed any issues, really, it was pleasure to use this phone!
-> I bought the phone via online shop (alternate) in Germany , I got it delivered on 2022-08-20.
-> I am using both sim card (SIM1: T-mobile Germany with 5G, SIM 2: PLAY [provider from Poland] with max. 4G enabled)
I have decided to send the phone back to ASUS with help of RMA case. Because I don't have time and I think the phone is quite expensive, and for such high price (at least to my opinion) I expect to have it exchange to a brand new fully working exemplar and not being busy with debugging the issues, because I need a working phone and not a phone for "developing Asus products".