This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to change bluetooth codec to AAC

comolfa2
Star I

I have new bluetooth headphones that support both SBC and AAC. By default, the codec reverts to SBC.

I have enabled developer options, and I have the option to change the codec to AAC manually. However, the option does not save. It keeps reverting back to SBC.

Anyone else had this issue and a working solution? I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting the headphones, disabling/enabling media playback, etc.

1 REPLY 1

darrin5698
Star I

The issue of your Bluetooth headphones reverting to the SBC codec instead of AAC is relatively common. Here's a step-by-step guide to troubleshoot and possibly resolve the issue:

1. Ensure AAC is Supported on Your Device

• Not all Android devices support AAC over Bluetooth. Check your device's specifications or settings to ensure it supports AAC. If not, it will always revert to SBC.

2. Forget and Re-Pair Your Headphones

• In your Bluetooth settings, "Forget" the headphones, then re-pair them. After reconnecting, go back to developer options and try setting AAC again.

3. Check Developer Options

• Make sure you’ve correctly enabled AAC in the developer options:
    • Go to Settings > Developer Options > Bluetooth Audio Codec and select AAC.
    • Try enabling Disable Bluetooth A2DP hardware offload to see if this changes the behavior.

4. Clear Bluetooth Cache

• Go to Settings > Apps (or App Manager), tap the three dots in the top-right corner to Show system apps.
  • Find Bluetooth (it might be called Bluetooth Share or similar) and clear the cache and data.

5. Firmware/Software Update

• Ensure your device’s software and your headphones' firmware are up to date. Sometimes codec issues can be resolved through updates.

6. Try an App

• If the manual setting through developer options doesn't stick, some apps like Bluetooth Codec Changer or Bluetooth Audio Widget Battery allow you to manually select and enforce a codec.

7. Factory Reset

• As a last resort, you can try a factory reset of your headphones or phone. Be sure to back up important data before doing so.

8. Check Bluetooth Interference

• If you are in a place with a lot of wireless devices, Bluetooth interference can cause issues. Moving to a less crowded area can sometimes stabilize the connection.

If these steps don't resolve the issue, there could be a deeper compatibility issue between your phone and headphones, and contacting support for either the phone or headphone manufacturer might be necessary For more detailed solution Click Here .