This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

idle battery usage increase "other" after the last update

Sibbi
Star I

I just did the new update on my ZenFone 9 (16/256). I had problems with "other" using up like 40% battery while doing nothing before (February 23). Back in march I fixed it for me after an update and turning off the weather widget (because it used gps data every minute or so). Without GPS and Bluetooth "other" went to 0% or something around that...at least not noticeable. Now with the new update "other" is back draining my battery like crazy. No gps or bluetooth involved. I changed nothing else to be precice. I restarted a few times but I can't fix it anymore. Was thinking about factory reset but it's so annoying with all my apps that need to be registered again (some even by sending codes via an envelope to my adress for extra safety....as it might as well be a different device then)

I bought the phone because it lasted long and has a great size but with it dying on me now all the time, without actually doing someting... I am very frustrated. Especially since it just started after the update.

12 REPLIES 12

I've charged my device to 100 yesterday in hopes of 'resetting' what ever is wrong with my device. As stated above I also changed the cache setting. I am at 45% now so there is still some time left to analyse. I want to be extra sure that nothing else is happening. I uninstalled my weather widget and only Whatsapp Gmail Telegram remained in auto start. I left my phone mostly untouched with only a few inputs on messengers or to stream something to a random chromecast. No video playback or heavy use on the device at all. Only wifi, mobile data disabled and no phone calls. i enabled app crash reports for all apps to see if something is not funtional in the background.

It seems like there still is a greatly increased idle drain (20%). It improved compared to 40%....there is still some time left though and the value is rising until the battery is completely empty. It seems like not using my phone at all and the settings I changed increased the battery performance in general without really fixing my problem. While it's not empty laying there one night it's still frustrating to lose most charge while doing nothing.

photo_2023-08-31_21-27-54.jpg

photo_2023-08-31_21-27-51.jpg

I randomly received a crash report of NFC. Bluetooth GPS and mobile data were disabled but I never changed NFC settings since I bought the device. I disabled NFC in hopes that it acted up weird in the background all day.

photo_2023-08-31_21-24-48.jpg

In terms of background apps showing notifications I think it's fine. It feels like sometimes the notification is a few minutes late or atleast it takes longer than it used to (comparison with gmal, telegram opened on my pc simultaniously) but it wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me. No message vanished for me so I didn't have to check all my apps from time to time. Using like 2gb Ram of 16 feels wrong though. 

short little update. I changed my charging limit back to 80%. Yesterday I discharged the phone to 15%. I turned it off instead of just restarting it. After 15min I turned it on and charged it as usual. After 12h of light use it's at 48% now. 'Others' is currently sitting at 2%. That's how I remember it to be. 

Maybe the problem is solved now. I will keep an eye on it for the next couple of days.

davidpay
Star I

An increase in "other" battery usage after a software update can be attributed to a variety of factors, and it might not always be directly related to the update itself. However, I can provide you with some general steps to investigate and potentially mitigate this issue:

1. Check Battery Usage Details:

• On most mobile devices, you can check the detailed battery usage statistics to see which apps or processes are consuming the most power. This will help you identify if there are specific apps or processes contributing to the "other" category.
  2. Check for App Updates:

• Sometimes, apps may not be optimized for the latest operating system version. Check for updates to your apps and make sure they are up to date. Developers often release updates to improve compatibility and fix issues with newer OS versions.
  3. Clear Cache and Data:

• Some apps accumulate unnecessary cache and data over time, which can affect battery life. Go to your device's settings, find the app settings, and clear cache and data for apps that are consuming a lot of battery power.
  4. Background Apps:

• Review the apps running in the background and limit background processes for apps that you don't use frequently. Some apps may continue to run and consume battery even when you're not actively using them.
  5. Restart Your Device:

• A simple device restart can sometimes resolve battery drain issues, especially if there are background processes causing the problem.
  6. Factory Reset (as a Last Resort):

• If the issue persists and seems to be related to the update, you might consider a factory reset as a last resort. This will erase all data on your device, so make sure to back up your important data first. After the reset, set up your device as new and gradually reinstall apps to see if the issue reoccurs.
  7. Check for Subsequent Updates:

• Sometimes, initial software updates may have bugs that are later addressed in subsequent updates. Keep your device's operating system up to date by checking for and installing any available updates.
  8. Contact Support:

• If the problem persists and you believe it's directly related to the update, consider contacting the device manufacturer's or operating system provider's customer support. They may be able to provide specific guidance or investigate the issue further.

It's important to note that the specific steps and options available can vary depending on your device's operating system (iOS, Android, etc.) and version. Additionally, if the battery drain issue is widespread and affecting many users, the software provider may release a fix in a future update. Keeping your device and apps up to date is generally a good practice to ensure optimal performance and battery life. Myfedloan login