cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fingerprint unlocking is inconsistent in Zenfone 9

zenfone9userNo9
Star II

Hello,

Basically most of the time the fingerprint unlocking works nicely, but sometimes, it just refuses to read the finger, mostly without even vibrating to indicate it couldn't read the finger. and the solution is inconsistent either, sometimes I  unlock it with pattern, then close and it reads the fingers correctly, sometimes it refuses to read a specific finger so I use another one (I have 3 fingerprints), and sometimes it just continues to not work for some minutes. It happenes pretty rarely but happened for the past half year even after several updates, but i must say it never happened in the first ~3 months after I started using Zenfone 9 in February 2023.

This is not the first post about this issue, and unfortunately there is no clear pattern on why this happenes. 

general info:

Model Name: Zenfone 9 (I love this phone thank you so much Asus)

Firmware Verion: 33.0804.2060.165

Rooted or not: No

Frequency of Occurance: Twice a week on average. (happenes with screen on or off)

Type of screen off-unlock mode: Press or touch

If I go to the fingerprint settings after it happenes, it detects all fingerprints correctly.

Not using face recognition.

When the problem occurs it can sometimes say I did too many attempts and force me to draw pattern.

Thank you in advance

4 REPLIES 4

zenfone9userNo9
Star II

nothing?

lucyclover
Star I

It seems like you're experiencing intermittent issues with the fingerprint unlocking feature on your Asus Zenfone 9. These problems can be frustrating, but there are several steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue:

1. Clean Your Fingerprint Sensor:

• Make sure your fingerprint sensor is clean and free from any dirt, oil, or smudges. Use a soft, lint-free cloth to gently clean the sensor.

2. Re-register Your Fingerprints:

• Delete and re-register your fingerprints in the phone's settings. Sometimes, re-registering fingerprints can improve recognition accuracy.

3. Check for Software Updates:

• Ensure that your device's operating system and firmware are up to date. Manufacturers often release updates that address bugs and improve the performance of features like fingerprint recognition.

4. Test Different Finger Placement:

• When re-registering your fingerprints, try to vary the angle and position of your finger slightly. This can help the sensor capture a more accurate fingerprint image.

5. Delete and Re-add Fingerprints in Different Lighting Conditions:

• Sometimes, the lighting conditions during fingerprint registration can affect recognition accuracy. Try adding your fingerprints in different lighting conditions to see if it makes a difference.

6. Remove Screen Protectors or Cases:

• Screen protectors or cases that cover the fingerprint sensor can sometimes interfere with recognition. Try removing them temporarily to see if it improves accuracy.

7. Reset Fingerprint Settings:

• In your phone's settings, you may find an option to reset fingerprint settings. This can reset the fingerprint database and potentially resolve recognition issues.

8. Safe Mode Testing:

• Boot your phone into safe mode (if supported by your device) to see if third-party apps are causing conflicts with the fingerprint sensor. If the issue doesn't occur in safe mode, a third-party app may be the culprit.

9. Contact Manufacturer Support:

• If the problem persists after trying these steps, consider reaching out to Asus customer support or visiting an authorized service center for further assistance. They may be able to diagnose and address hardware-related issues.

10. Monitor for Patterns: - Keep track of when and under what circumstances the issue occurs. Note if there's any correlation with specific apps or actions you take before the problem arises. This information can be valuable when seeking help from support.

Remember that intermittent issues with fingerprint recognition can be caused by various factors, including software glitches, sensor cleanliness, or even hardware-related issues. It's important to troubleshoot systematically and, if necessary, seek professional assistance if the problem persists.

did everything on this list before even posting, except the safe mode, but since the problem may be nonexistent for as long as two weeks so it would be hard for me to use the phone in safe mode only, besides, I dont suspect any app to cause such problem because I use a limited amount of simple apps like messeging and browser, no weird launchers or fingerprint locking apps or whatnot.

the most logical of all is dirty fingers or fingerprint sensor but I always clean it when that occurs and that seems to have no effect.

zenfone9userNo9
Star II

it drives me insane please help