Star III
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ZF9
Firmware Version: Latest German one
Rooted or not: NO
Frequency of Occurrence: Every time
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Call Interface
========================================
When I am in a call and just hold the device to my skin, the phone gets back but is still being used like normal. I was wondering what was going on when having it vibrating all the time but the phone don't really lock itself. It just works like "normal" so you always have to lock the phone with its power button before putting it to your skin.
26 REPLIES 26

vigneshsr1125
Star III
Hmm I just tried calling myself in my Zenfone 9 and attempted to recreate this same bug, but couldn't.
My screen goes black as it should and doesn't activate functions on the call screen when I pressed on the screen with my other fingers.

Mansi_ASUS
Hey @gmbhneo88!
I heard back from the R&D team, they require the following information from your end:
Check whether the Proximity Sensor is functioning normally. (Turn on the calculator, enter .12345+= to activate the SMMI tool, select Single Test > Proximity Test, and check whether the Sensor is normal)
If the Sensor detection is normal, provide the log and video of the problem (the video is to know the angle of the receiver when the other machine answers the phone). Try to position the phone in a way that the opening of the Proximity sensor is opposite to the ear (or hair or cheek).
Please follow the below steps to enable the built-in log tool (Bug reporter).
1.  Open “Calculator APP”
2.  Enter “.19595+=”
3.  Select the Log type according to the type of issue you want to capture. “General cases” will work for most issues.
4.  After your selection the log tool will exit so you can duplicate the issue or wait for it to happen. Try to use the screen recorder to show your issue when possible. If you can't screen record your issue, then please take a screenshot right after the issue has occurred (as a timestamp) so we know where to look in the log.
5.  Navigate back to the log tool via calculator and Tap "FINISH AND SHARE".
6. It takes several minutes for the log to generate. You can exit and do other stuff in the meantime. A silent notification will tell you once the process is done. Tap the notification and then the share button to upload the file to Google Drive and share the link with a moderator. Just make sure to change the permission first so that everyone with the link has permission to view it.
Note: When you're no longer planning on logging your device, enter “.09595+=” in the calculator and the log tool will stop as well as deleting all stored log files. Make sure to share via calculator. The files found in internal storage -> asus_log are not the correct files (they are only 1.2kb)
You can share the log and the video with me via PM.

eduardomcp
Star III
HI, I also have this issue and @ASUS I would like to propose a dirty fix if you cannot fix it. create an option on the phone app to automatically lock the phone if the call is answered.
This issue is creating a lot of anxiety every time I need to talk on the phone. Either everything will go fine during the call or it goes mute, or it has already typed random letters for a random person or is already changing settings, or whatever. It is like an undesired kinder surprise of randomness...
Now I always try to remember to lock the phone when a call starts, but this is not a good thing and it is a big deal breaker...

frafa
Star III
Same problem.
I notice that it depends on the position of the phone near the ear. If you muove it forward or backward the display wake up.
It seems to me, like the sensor it is not in the right physical position on the phone or it is too sensitive.
I tried to force myself to have the phone in a fix peculiar position near the ear and it works. But if I'm not thinking about it, the problem comes out and I potentially found a mess everywhere in the phone.

eduardomcp
Star III
@Mansi_ASUS can you please forward this issue/request to the dev team?
Thank you!