This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus executive RMA blackmails me for $200 to keep bootloader unlocked

lambrosgg
Star III

Proving they didn't learn anything from the RMA fiasco: Removing an advertised feature (unlocking bootloader), lying to customers (unlock tool) coming back for over a year, denying warranty for unlocked bootloader, even though its illegal in the EU and now asking for money to do it!

In case you are unaware Asus (supposedly) did a makeover of their RMA procedures after it got exposed by Gamers Nexus for practically scamming customers during repairs. Youtube Link 
As a response to that, Asus created the "executive care" process with the email "executivecare@asus.com" to reexamine bad RMA experiences and make things right for customers that got wronged.

I thought to give it a try since my ZF9 got bricked after an update a year ago and didn't turn on at all, yet I got denied a repair under warranty AND a paid repair (I offered to pay, but they still denied!) because my device has an unlocked bootloader. In the EU, its illegal to deny a warranty repair because of software modifications. I mentioned that to the executive care on 15 of June and they offered a "one time repair under warranty" but the bootloader would be relocked and its impossible to unlock it again. I said that it was an advertised feature and they can't just remove it with the repair. After 1 month(!) they said that I can simply ...pay for it! $200 for a 2 year old phone!

2 REPLIES 2

darrin5698
Star I

@lambrosgg wrote:

Proving they didn't learn anything from the RMA fiasco: Removing an advertised feature (unlocking bootloader), lying to customers (unlock tool) coming back for over a year, denying warranty for unlocked bootloader, even though its illegal in the EU and now asking for money to do it!

In case you are unaware Asus (supposedly) did a makeover of their RMA procedures after it got exposed by Gamers Nexus for practically scamming customers during repairs. Youtube Link (ADP Vantage Login)
As a response to that, Asus created the "executive care" process with the email "executivecare@asus.com" to reexamine bad RMA experiences and make things right for customers that got wronged.

I thought to give it a try since my ZF9 got bricked after an update a year ago and didn't turn on at all, yet I got denied a repair under warranty AND a paid repair (I offered to pay, but they still denied!) because my device has an unlocked bootloader. In the EU, its illegal to deny a warranty repair because of software modifications. I mentioned that to the executive care on 15 of June and they offered a "one time repair under warranty" but the bootloader would be relocked and its impossible to unlock it again. I said that it was an advertised feature and they can't just remove it with the repair. After 1 month(!) they said that I can simply ...pay for it! $200 for a 2 year old phone!

It sounds like you’ve been through a frustrating ordeal with Asus. It's disappointing when companies don't adhere to legal requirements or advertised features, especially after a public backlash like the one from Gamers Nexus. If you haven't already, you might want to escalate this issue through consumer protection agencies or public forums to put more pressure on them. Sometimes, making the issue more visible can lead to better resolutions. 

adeveloper79
Star II

rather join the tg group and flash thru edl two users unbricked their device after brick on newer firmware

Link to fix