This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenfone 8 - satisfied?

martka_010
Star I
Dear ones, do we have users here at all who are really satisfied with the choice of Zenfone 8?
Those who may experience some minor inconvenience in everyday use, but otherwise everything is fine? I realize that on forums we usually raise problems and what frustrates us, but maybe they will report to you really satisfied? Or maybe everyone will sooner or later get the death of this model?
I am addressing my question mainly to users with longer experience.
19 REPLIES 19

Blumi
Rising Star II
th.besch

I'm really satisfied with this phone (in use since June 2021, not rooted). No issues so far, great perfomance, great speaker sound, love the notification LED (really bad it's gone with zf9...). What I miss: only usb 2.0, so no video output to external monitor (really bad zf9 does not support this either...). Camera app could do better, same for the battery. @Blumi: what's your secret?

View post
90hz (or 60 if I need 8 hours)
No hardcore gaming - and around every 4 week I use it till it shuts itself off and charge to 100%

erik_paladin
Rising Star I
I got the phone on release, as there was a slight discount if it was pre-ordered. I made my decision based on its size and headphone jack. I've been using it with a Rhinoshield case since day one.
I'm satisfied with the phone itself, even though it could do with a longer battery life without the need for the user to fiddle with the settings. I don't think that is fitting a flagship phone.
The size is great for me, even though it's slightly thicker than my previous phone (Huawei P10+Spigen case).
I'm not that impressed with the quality of the camera, even though I like having the option of a wide lens.
I'm very satisfied with the screen.
The software is OK, I like that I have the feeling of being close to stock Android, without many Asus customizations. However, it is obvious that the quality and frequency of updates have declined over time. There have been updates with serious bugs that should have been caught before release. I have never had that experience on any other phone I owned before. Regarding the frequency of updates, it is almost November at the time of writing, and my phone is still on the security patch from August. I don't feel that is acceptable for a flagship phone released by a well-known company, especially when you take into account the fast pace at which new exploits and vurneabilities are discovered.
Ever since the whole ramdump situation and no reaction (except "send it in for repair") from Asus, I always have a fear in the back of my mind that my phone could die at any moment. I've never had that feeling with any phone I owned before, even though I used them to their max abilities and rooted/installed custom ROMs on most of them.
I don't think I will ever buy another Asus phone ever again, just because of the level of support Asus has shown.

ma_van_drunen
Star III
I am still satisfied with my Zenfone 8. It is much better than phones I owned before (Samsung S10e, Xiaomi Mi Mix S2, Huawei P10). I have been looking at competing phones, but they are too big (e.g. Pixel 7), too expensive (iPhones, Xperia 5), have too much bloatware (Xiaomi, Samsung), and/or worse updating policies.
For me its battery life is fine: 4-5 hours SOT, if I need more it is time to put my phone aside :-). I prefer my photos over the ones taken by my family members on their Samsung S21 and S10e, which often look oversharp en less vivid. I like and use the Asus additions for battery management and dual apps. What I miss is wireless charging.
Most annoying of the ZF8 was that the screen doesn't always turn off during calls. I have solved this by always manually locking the screen after I pick up the phone. Luckily I was not affected by any of the bugs introduced after updates. I appreciate the opportunity to participate in the beta programmes.
I am not too worried about slow updates or the upgrade policy. As long as the security updates are not more than 6 months or so behind I think the risks are acceptable in my use case. And after 3 years I either replace my phone or install LineageOS.

Vismaior
Star III
volte does not work in Poland. soon they will turn off our 3g. and asus pretends there is no problem.

pio_zen
Rising Star II
Satisfied.
Plus: size, clean os, battery manager, speakers
Minus: asus software service (visible limited developer resources ), volte availability , snap 888 (870 would be better and enough), screen refresh options not working as you may think