This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Asus and all owners of a dead Zenfone 8

leoncarrera
Star III

By now is it clear the Asus Zenfone 8 has a weakness when it comes to its motherboard. Phones are dying in very comparable situations; after installing an update or patch and/ or when charging. The died phones show the same state: a sudden black screen, no response on buttons or screen, sometimes an orange fast blinking LED for about ten seconds when the charger is attached, after which also this stops blinking. Even the life duration of the phones are alike when this happens;  around two years.  Some people are lucky that it can be repaired under warranty, most aren't when warranty has just expired.

All of the phones which were repaired received a new motherboard. So also in here the fix seems comparable. Or at least not repairable with a soldering or partial replacement of other components. There is no wide variety of repairs to be found on ZenTalk on this. 

This issue goes beyond individual or even wrong use, a single faulty or unfortunate phone. All phones that died did this in comparable situations and after comparable life times. There is something wrong with the design or components of the Zenfone 8, or at least a batch, which can't be put on warranty alone when it comes to a repair. 

Asus, please take this matter and your clients serious. At least more then you have proven till this date. Asus can't just address this matter with the initial question if the phone is still under the warranty. Asus does know what the technical issues are with these phones, so please then also take your responsibility. Asus put this premium phone on the market at a premium price. This comes with an expected life duration that goes beyond a hard line of just 24 months. Warranty is for specific situations. These dying Zenfones are not specific. It is a general issue. So please handle it as such.

Can Asus confirm that they will keep addressing issues regarding these dying Zenfones as individual technical matters? And thus with warranty as strict and main component to define if Asus or customers are financially responsible for further action? And if so, what is their response to these resembling dying phones that Asus will keep holding onto this strict warranty duration when it is clear customers can't be held responsible for their broken Zenfones, since they die during normal use or especially after installing new and updated Asus firmware?

To all users of a died Zenfone 8: please add your phone to this thread, when it died (lifetime) and on which occurence. 

Kind regards,
León

161 REPLIES 161

rich0
Star I

My beloved Asus Zenfone 8 died peacefully in it's sleep on Sunday, April 28, 2024.  
Warranty & purchase date July 21st, 2021.  Phone was hot, black screen, and blinking red light.  No signs of life after letting the phone cool down.
Local repair shop said problem is in the board, and they were not equipped to repair it.

Falcon_ASUS

@hundredlaughs , @rich0 
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Please check the top right corner and kindly share the serial number and details requested in the PM inbox.
Thank you. 

Shan03
Star II

My phone joined the ongoing list of bricked ZenFone 8 phones last week while travelling (added a whole new layer of difficulty to the trip as I could not access my bank account or email or anything, luckily I was not travelling solo and had a credit card with me).

Purchase date: June 2022

Bricked date: April 2024

Country purchased in: Australia

I was taking pictures at the time and the phone just went black screen on me.  The battery was sitting around 15% at the time.  I have tried multiple combinations of the power button and volume down, power button and volume up, holding the power button on for 60 seconds, plugged it in using the charging cable that came with the phone and the red charging led light flashed a few times before going non responsive as well, left it on the charger overnight and still non responsive, tried holding the power button on while unplugging and plugging in the charging cable, I've plugged the cable that came with the phone into my battery pack and the battery pack seems to drain while the phone is attached but nothing happens when I try any of the buttons on the phone, the charging percentage screen on the phone does not display the screen has been completely black since the day it died last week.

I just want my photos, I don't care about the phone itself as I was planning on upgrading anyways (I had been looking at the newer ZenFone models but will be looking elsewhere now, wish I could go back to Sony but they've stopped selling phones in Australia which was why I chose the ZenFone 8 in the first place).

Hi @Shan03. Sorry to welcome you to the club. Since you bought it June 22, there's still a month window to have it repaired under warranty. Also under Australian consumer laws. Get the RMA asap. Even when you don't plan to use the Zenfone afterwards. Let them fix it anyway. 

@Shan03 - mine also bricked when travelling, so I know how you feel. Mine was also purchased in June 2022 and bricked itself in Dec 2023 - at the airport. I had a warrant repair, which took 2 weeks from collection to return. Unfortunately the repair that ASUS makes replaces the motherboard and does not recover any data.

Another poster on here is from Australia and they obtained a full refund under one of your laws - not fit for purpose or similar.