This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Zenfone 8 still worth it?

fugami1
Star I

I was a proud user of OnePlus 5 for five years untill dropped on the floor this morning and screen went black. It was a decent phone with good battery life (still was charging once a day, every two days earlier). Pure Android which means it is fast and does not slow down within years. Good size but I'd preffer smaller. Recent OnePlust (not only) phones just got bigger what push me back from this brand.

I was waiting for ZF9 but apparently support cycle is 2 years only. I preffer stock or close to stock Android and can't justify 800$ price tag for something what is half-baked and has a short support cycle.

But the ZF8 is more than 200$ cheaper compared to Zenfone 9. Not sure how long is support cycle of it but less than 600$ does not look as bad.

How is the longetivity of Zenfone 8? Is battery still keeping up after year use? Is it worth the money? Did it become slower or not? Would you buy it today? Do upgrades on ZF9 solves any significat problems ZF8 has? Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9

The guy saying ramdump is exaggerated is mistaken. There are more and more people just on this site, not to mention just do a google search or look at XDA for it. It's actually not even the biggest issue, mine didn't even ramdump it just outright died. IMO it's not worth it. You can't even unlock the bootloader.

U know on nothing phone 1 there is same problem. It is not only zf8. I use mine and the official asus service after asked about this problem replied that motherboards that are swapped currently doesn't have this issue.

We will see. I just had my phone RMAd by ASUS service center and they replaced the motherboard. They also scratched the screen but they fixed that with a second RMA. We'll see. I'm out of warranty apart from the 90 days after the RMA so I do plan on unlocking the bootloader IF and when that's an option.

If the phone breaks again I'm just buying a different one -- if they have that many hardware issues then it's an assembly or manufacturing deficit and I don't want to deal with them anymore.

Incidentally I just made another thread pointing out the bootloader isn't here but they're still updating firmwares for Zenfone 10 and even Zenfone 7... my post seems to be mysteriously deleted or marked as spam. Interesting. I wonder if it's because I mentioned the CCP ????

Mine had problems with cameras now everybody has flashlight problems. I planned to buy xperia 5 II but it had screen issues. On the other isde my old nokia 7.2 had problems with calling after updates. It never got fixed

Yeah it's kind of a crapshoot. The most trouble-free phone I've ever owned is a Pixel 3 that I bought second-hand for $40 bucks. It's still running today on an unlocked, rooted, Lineage OS. I gave it to my sister-in-law and even with a cracked screen it is still going strong. I guess they just don't make phones like they used to anymore...