This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown USB device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) when in Fastboot Mode - 5z

Model Name: ASUS Zenfone 5z (ZS620KL) (Z01RD)
Firmware Version: Build is "QKQ1.191008.001.WW_user_100.10.109.123_20210131" and Kernel "4.9.186-perf+"
Rooted or not: Not
Frequency of Occurrence: Always
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): N/A
Computer OS: Windows 10 Pro Version 21H2, OS build 19044.2006, Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0
========================================
Hi all,
I've unlocked my bootloader via the official tool and rebooted into fastboot mode, but I'm afraid my device isn't being correctly detected on Windows 10. I've tried multiple windows 10 devices and multiple cables. The device comes up as "Unknown USB device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" in Device manager, and under events lists "Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\7&192ea77b&0&4 was configured."
I know that's a generic VID & PID so I may manually need to set those values, but I don't know what the correct values would be for a Asus Zenfone 5z Z01DR, so I'm stuck unable to access the device via my PC.
I have the latest version of Google Platform Tools, and I've re-downloaded and installed the drivers from the Asus Support page. Not had this issue in the past with my Zenfone 3...
I've also tried following advice on XDA for HTC models, to no success. Can't post the link, sorry.
Appreciate any ideas or if anyone can provide the correct VID & PID!
5 REPLIES 5

Jiaszzz_ASUS
Hello, Rooted_Like_A_Tree.
This model has stopped maintaining the Unlock Device App.
We apologize for any inconvenience caused.
Thank you for supporting ASUS products.

Appreciate the follow up @Jiaszzz_ASUS but I've successfully used the latest version of the app and it's worked fine, as such the app is not the issue, rather than the 5z doesn't have accessible drivers when it is in fastboot mode, therefore it cannot be connected to via Windows 10. Without the correct IDs, it is not possible to update the device via Fastboot. If it is possible to get the correct VID & PID for a phone plugged in via fastboot mode, drivers, or both, it'd be appreciated. Otherwise I can try to get the VID & PID from the Zenfone 3 in fastboot mode, and hope they work for each other.
In the USB support files on your site titled "ASUS_Android_USB_drivers_for_Windows", inside the zip there is the file "android_winusb.inf", inside which there are records which tell Windows 10 which driver to use, for example:
%CompositeAdbInterface%    = USB_Install, USB\VID_0B05&PID_4D05&MI_01
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0B05&PID_4DAE
%SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0B05&PID_4DAF
None of these line up to my device. Because my PC cannot determine what the device is (error = Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)) it allocates a generic VID & PID (USB\VID_0000&PID_0002), so I can't find out what driver to apply. I need to know the correct one so I can get it to recognise.

Probably my final update. I've tried this on many different systems (apparently AMD Ryzen has issues, tried on Intel, AMD Ryzen and AMD FX), different USB-C cables, different OS (Linux Mint, Win7 and Win10), different drivers (Google vs ASUS vs My own modified ASUS hack), registry hacks. Nothing works. At this point I have to assume it's either a hardware issue or corrupted fastboot bootloader image, which is immensely frustrating when I can connect and transfer data fine via cable.
I've posted on damn near every forum possible, and hunted everything from "can I manually force the driver" to "can I hack/redirect the fault USB descriptor". My only other thought at the moment is downloading and then trying to sideload the updated fastboot via sdcard, but that probably won't work and probably won't give me root access. So now I'm just left with a phone with an unlocked bootloader I can't modify, all all the DRM on the stock OS disabled so you can't use every app with it. I'm deflated, heartbroken, anguished and frustrated...

To anyone who reads this, I've spent so many nights trying to work this out, sorry that I can't provide an answer...

Jiaszzz_ASUS
Hi, Rooted_Like_A_Tree.
I'm not sure how you operate the unlock device, but for your model, our unlock server has stopped performing maintenance.
As a result, we apologize for any inconvenience caused by the operation.