This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M5606WA-MH99 AMD HX370 Vivobook S - no drivers for camera available

eugenius
Star I

There are no drivers available for the camera for the M5606WA laptop from Microsoft or from Asus.

Let me preface by saying that I LOVE this laptop - I love the CPU, screen, the speed, the form factor, the price. Even the keyboard is quite good. Had the situation below not occurred I would be praising this device across the internet. 

However, when I first received the laptop the camera worked. Then I wanted to reinstall Windows 11 from a clean installation as I normally do. The camera would not show up in the Device Manager. After installing all the drivers from the Asus support page (including the Realtek camera extension), and even installing MyAsus and going through all the updates the camera still didn't appear in the Device Manager. I was able to restore the original Asus windows image and the camera worked again. I repeated the process and even called Asus for help, and was told on the phone there are no drivers available for the camera. 

I even tried manually exporting all the drivers using PowerShell commands, and then loading them into a custom Windows 11 installation... which ALSO failed - with the camera failing to show up in the Device Manager afterwards. 

As it stands now - this laptop can ONLY work with the Windows 11 image that came with the laptop! If anyone from Asus with any ability to enact change is reading this post - I would urge you to check in on this situation, and help to remedy this issue. This laptop is definitely on sale in the EU and I would almost guarantee that not providing device drivers violates some EU law at this point. 

5 REPLIES 5

eugenius
Star I

Thank you for identifying what appears to be the problem. You are correct - the Asus provided windows version is identified as 24H2. I will look out for the public release of 24H2 and test that when it comes out.