This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are we not getting security updates in a regular Interval

sathishinsat2
Rising Star II
Asus, May I know the reason behind not sending security updates on regular interval? Do you think that security updates are not required to keep our phone secure from security threat?
When other leading brands are doing it properly, why not Asus? Can you share your problem or difficulty behind this delay. @Gustav_ASUS
Thanks
23 REPLIES 23

kchinnavigneshr
Rising Star II
nationkid

Theres a thing called a pandemic lol.

Granted we missed August but seeing how things are ATM I'm not that fussed

View post
So they made a new phone, Rog phone 3 during a pandemic but couldn't deliver proper updates? Wah. Is this new a reason to coverup Asus's pathetic software support?

deeppaul589
Zen Master I
ronald1985

If you ask me, ASUS have improved from 7 months patch to attempting to bring updates within 2 - 3 months (July to September) assuming the delivery is still within this month.

I did concern myself with the 7 months patch update when I was going to buy the phone. I mean, as long you stick to well known sources for downloading apps such as Google Play, you shouldn't need to worry about too much about the security updates. The other layer is the developer of the apps as they will need to be on par with their coding too. Obviously, this doesn't give an excuse to not provide security updates, but at least it has improved and it is going in the right direction.

Source:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/09/12/android-phone-security-update-tracker/

View post
What you consider improvement is baseline for other companies. Please tell me what new features have they added in last 1 year except providing buggy A10 6months after its launch

mandalkunal5555
Rising Star II
deeppaul589

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/113012#Comment_113012

What you consider improvement is baseline for other companies. Please tell me what new features have they added in last 1 year except providing buggy A10 6months after its launch

View post
Well for starters they turned the phone into a portable personal heater. Now you can use it during the winters to keep yourself warm.
And they also added the feature where the airtriggers start flickering during intense gaming to stop users from getting addicted to mobile gaming. It's the OnePlus's "Zen mode" equivalent of Asus except you can't ever turn it off.

Gustav_ASUS
Community Legend III
Android security patches are bundled with firmware updates in general. There is a FOTA planned soon which will include an updated security patch.

ronald1985
Community Legend I
deeppaul589

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/113012#Comment_113012

View post
Even though this post is about the security updates and not new features update, I am happy to respond back on how I feel about the new updates.
The problem with "new features" is apps are already out there on Play Store for them and it doesn't need to be built in. Otherwise the phone will become bloaty like other phone manufacturers. This what makes Android good, the customisability without relying on the manufacturer. If manufacturer starts forcing apps on the phone, you will be complaining like some other dude on the forum complaining about Facebook and Google being on. Imagine Facebook not being there and everyone will be asking for it to be on and must have because of the popularity. The point there is if one user on the forum gets a new feature implemented on the phone, the problem becomes bigger because everyone will be demanding for what they want to be on the phones.
They added VOLTE on your request didn't they? Before you say it should be there in the first place, then that would be the fault of the users not doing their research. A good research would of told you which phones are capable of VOLTE.
Personally, I like the phone how it is. Anything that I want is just download it from Play Store. I made a comment on the new features list that I want to see ROG 2 what is new app. Clearly no one was interested, but that is the point I am making that just because a dozen of you want new features, you have some dont. Obviously the numbers do help, but thats up to the manufacturer.